Giving furniture to goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, May 12, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Okay so I have the ugliest couch in the world..and its got a broken leg. I hate it and I want it OUT OF MY HOUSE. Durn house is ugly enough without this one couch adding to the decor..

Anyways instead of just dragging it to the dump, can the goats have it for a while? I can only imagine how much they'd enjoy playing and sleeping on it.

You think it would hurt them? It's in good shape except for the broken leg. Just really ugly and smelly...

I read somewhere about people who gave their goats furniture, but can't remember where.

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    They can have it to play on for a while...just watch out for torn cushions (the foam stuff inside most couches is toxic) and springs coming through.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have seen a site -- I think its Old Mountain Farm but not positive - where they give their goats furniture

4. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    A couple concerns: that they might nibble on and ingest some of the stuffing or upholstery if it's that type of couch, and that any absorbant materials might become a bacterial sponge from urine saturation and thus a health hazard.

Food for thought - Katie, my herd queen, used to have a really nice double down sleeping bag. She'd lounge about on it during the day and the other goats would pee on it. Every night I'd hang it over the fence and soap it off with the hose to remove the urine, allowing it to drip dry overnight. Come morning, I'd lay the dry, fresh smelling bag back down on the ground with the somewhat repellent side facing up, and if I forgot, Katie would pull it down herself.

A month or so after the twins came home, Katie started allowing them to lay on her sleeping bag and she pretty much let them take it over. They spent a lot of time playing and lounging about on it. Shortly thereafter both babies came down with a mystery illness, dreadfully high temps with symptoms of pneumonia. I don't know for sure but suspect the sleeping bag might have had something to do with it so threw it out.

None of the other goats got sick, but then they didn't spend as much time on the sleeping bag, didn't have such intimate contact with it (burrowing in and gumming it and such) either. Being babies, the twins are also more susceptible to bacterial infection, etc. since their immune systems are still developing. Had they not been so healthy prior to the illness, I'm not so sure they would have survived.

IMO, it's just not worth the risk. I'd take the ugly couch to the smelly dump and be done with it.

Deb Mc

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    You're probably right. I thought I might let them have it for a while to play on before hauling it off, but then again, I feel sorry for the strong manly folk who will have to move it after the goats have had their way with it. hehe