The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if I could give my pregnant does Iron tablets for humans? Their eyelids are pale but I don't want to deworm until after they have their babies.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Get a fecal for worms and cocci. I have wormed with Ivomec with no issues later term.
How far along is she?

I wouldn’t wait to treat her if she is indeed anemic and wormy.

No never gave iron pills. Horse red cell works well, but do know iron cancels out copper.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a fecal for worms and cocci. I have wormed with Ivomec with no issues later term.
How far along is she?

I wouldn't wait to treat her if she is indeed anemic and wormy.

No never gave iron pills. Horse red cell works well, but do know iron cancels out copper.
All my does are 4-5 months pregnant. They were in with a buck for a month so I don't have a due date but they could kid anytime this month. Hmmmm... Even after I dewormed them they were still pale. That was in August/December. I am going to be getting a cobalt block as I've heard that builds up red blood cells. I am going to have to wait until after this cold snap to send in anything as it will probably just freeze the samples.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What did deworm them with? If it was a white wormer like safeguard, it might not have worked well. The barberpole worm has become rather resistant to it in my area. Have fecals done. If she is still wormy, use a different class of wormers. Has she developed bottle jaw? If she is light pale, you can give her a shot of pig iron and b vitamin complex. The pig iron works much faster than red cell. I typically give red cell to my pregnant does in their water for a while after giving birth just to help rebuild their blood supply.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What did deworm them with? If it was a white wormer like safeguard, it might not have worked well. The barberpole worm has become rather resistant to it in my area. Have fecals done. If she is still wormy, use a different class of wormers. Has she developed bottle jaw? If she is light pale, you can give her a shot of pig iron and b vitamin complex. The pig iron works much faster than red cell. I typically give red cell to my pregnant does in their water for a while after giving birth just to help rebuild their blood supply.
I used Ivermectin injectable and orally.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How far along is she?

I am going to put it in their water. How much should I put for 3 Nigerian Dwarfs in 3 gallons of water?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How far along is she?

Okay so this is what I'm thinking of doing. Give 9 cc of red cell in 3 gallons of water for 5 days and also using Land Of Havilah herbal wormer everyday as well for a week. I just need to know can I use a herbal dewormer when they are pregnant? It has wormwood and clove in it which is making me not want to give it to them. Should I just wait a few weeks until they have their kids? I am stumped I want to make sure they are healthy but I do NOT want to chance losing a single baby.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Is that better than just adding it to their water?
Yes, it's better than adding it to the water. Measuring the individual doses inside a syringe, with the needle removed, will give them the amount they need each and every time. Just put the syringe inside the corner of the mouth past the teeth and press the plunger down.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, it's better than adding it to the water. Measuring the individual doses inside a syringe, with the needle removed, will give them the amount they need each and every time. Just put the syringe inside the corner of the mouth past the teeth and press the plunger down.
Okay I'll do that. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts