Giving Rabies vaccine...have banamine on hand?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi Group,

I decided to give my goats the rabies shot because there has been quite a few positive critters in my area and I don't want to risk it. I bought the Imrab vaccine that has been tested some on goats and seems to be the safest. I was thinking I should have banamine on hand before I give everyone the shot, in case of reaction, but am having trouble getting it from the vet. Am I overthinking it and worrying too much. My horse has trouble each year with her rabies shot, so always gets banamine paste first, so it just makes me nervous. I also hate to wait much longer with all the stories of rabies foxes and woodchucks. What do you all think?

Thanks!

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    What sort of reactions do you get? Just curious.

3. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    My horse will get lethargic and start to breathe really heavy. If i give her banamine beforehand, she is fine, so it just makes me anxious about my little herd.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Banamine will do nothing for a reaction.
    It is for pain, to increase appetite and swelling.

For anaphylactic shock, you need Epinephrine.

Steampunked likes this.
  5. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    I am more think of general malaise that causes them to not eat, not anaphylactic shock.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I used to get the rabies shot for one of our goats when we lived in western NY state. We didn't give banamine and he was fine. It's quite possible that your horse is reacting because she's been given the vaccine every year for a while now. I don't know that it's necessary to give a rabies shot every year as previously thought. Dogs are now getting them every 3 years.

Nevertheless, banamine is one of those things that's good to have on hand if you have horses and/or goats. It would be nice if your vet could sell you a bottle.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You can order bananime from horseprerace.com.

Goats Rock and toth boer goats like this.