Giving Red Cell

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gotgoats, Nov 3, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I have never used red cell or any iron supp. before. I was reading on someone else's post about doing this after worming, but I want to know more. I took fecals in to the vet Fri., and I need to worm he said. He said they were fairly infested. Should I give red cell? If so, where do I get red cell and how much and when do you give this?
    I have also read that several people worm and than follow up down the road and repeat the wormer. Do you do that with all wormers or specific ones? Also, I noted some give for so many days in a row. How do you determine when to do that?
    Last question, does anyone withhold feed when they worm?
    I know have many questions, I was wondering if needed to change they way I am worming to be more effective and prevent resistance to drugs.

Thanks

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It all kind of depends on what wormer you use. Safeguard and panacur are the only ones I know of that people will give a 5 day regimen of. Ivermectin and Cydectin are a one time dose, and then sometimes if the infestation is really bad you can follow up with another dose in 10-21 days. I don't withhold feed when I worm.

Not sure about the red cell, I wouldn't think it's necessary unless they are anemic, what color are their eyelids?

3. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    To me they are a lt. pink/pale pink. I know that there is a FAMACHA scale, but my printer doesn't print off colors well, so it makes it difficult to compare to care.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Panacure (safeguard) is the only one I know of that you need to give for 3 days. Others probably can be given for a couple days but I dont know of the necessity of it.

All wormings should be repeated in noless then 7-10 days later to get the hatching eggs.

As to Red Cell --- is an iron supplement (liquid) for horses. You can find it at a feed store. You can use this if your goats are anemic (white lids, rough coat, skinny)

More then likely just worming them is enough --- in most cases that is all that is needed.

5. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I appreciate the input. The funny thing about all of this was the results at the vet. I took 3 samples (each from a different goat) out of my 9 goats. The first one he checked was from a doe due in a matter of days...he said it was clean. Then he checked the other 2 and found they were infested. So he thought that couldn't be, he checked the first one again and found her to still be clean.
    These 3 does are in the same field and have been, and get the same feed etc. The only difference I wormed the 2 with that have worms with Valbazen and I wormed the one that is "clean" with Safeguard because she was preggers. We both found that stange!

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what kind of worms are they infested with?

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just curious where you read or know of this? I was told at a goat seminar held by the makers of Safeguard to de-worm again exactly 21 days later, no earlier, no later, as that is when the eggs hatch and the re-infestation will start all over. Are all parasites different in when their eggs hatch?? :shrug:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    are you sure you didn't hear it wrong ... :? ....and maybe heard .....21 days after ingestion ?
    explanation below.....please read bottom paragraph...... :)
    Everyone that I know of ....and my vet ...has given it at 7 to 10 days later ............it has always been that way.....and I am not aware of anything different... :shrug:

The goat or sheep is infected when they graze on grass where the larvae have migrated. The larvae travel to the wall of the abomasum or the small intestine where they go through a molt. They then leave the wall to live freely in the lumen of the intestine or stomach. There they develop into adults and are laying eggs within 21 days after infection.

9. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I wish I had asked him, but he did not say. I will next time. If you do Safeguard for 5 days in a row, do you still go ahead in 7-10 days and then do it again for another 5 days. Sounds like a lot of wormer to use. I wormed them this morning with Safeguard at 10mg/kg. I found an article from Langston University regarding this, but says nothing about followup or dosing several days in a row.
    I wish this worming wasn't such a "gray" area of information, you know what I mean.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes it is 7-10 days later. A good goat friend of mine who went to some seminar on parasites and such was given this information plus it is what I usualy hear as well. Havet had a vet say it --- but we all know that vets arent the best with goats

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am super lucky.....my vet is pretty smart on goats ....if he doesn't know about something I have literally seen him open his medical book and study.... :) I do agree stacey ...there are .....alot that do not know much at all ... :worried: