The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been giving subq injections lately (fairly new to this) and sometimes it bleeds a little after I pull out the needle- not right away, but a minute or two later. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Here's what I do: clean the site, pinch the skin, inject the medicine under the skin, remove needle, press and rub around on the injection site (to get it spread out).

Few thoughts...
I've noticed that one side of the needle has the hole for medicine to come out- does it matter if that hole is directed down or up?
Should I not be rubbing the injection site- just applying still pressure for a minute?
Am I not getting all the way under the skin?

I gave the same goat 2 shots (near the same area) within the last month and the first one didn't bleed, but the 2nd one did.
Thanks for your help!

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Bevel up. Pull back on the plunger slightly to make sure you don't get a flash of blood. Then give the injection and rub it in.

·
Registered
30,648 Posts
sounds like you are hitting a vein..it happens..: ) I now give Sub Q shots in the loose skin where the neck meets the body..SO MUCH EASIER : ) The only meds I would worry about in the vein is Penicillin ..always draw back on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vein..this could kill the goat..If you see blood in the syringe then re adjust and try again..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yep, from a medical standpoint, always inject with the bevel side out/ up (toward you). Secondly, a lot of people get excited/ hurried when they are finished injecting and forget to remove the needle carefully. That bevel is sharp and can "scoop" when coming back out or tear the skin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Thanks. I have more goats to treat so I will get more practice and with the helpful suggestions you've given me, hopefully I'll get better!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts