The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to treat for coccidia today. I have the sulmet liquid. I weighed everyone and began administering it to baby #1 and she acted like she was choking....I'm sure it tastes terrible....how do u all go about giving it? I don't have the drenching gun thingy....I could add a small piece of fish tank hose if that might help. Any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
58,213 Posts
Dose at 1cc per 5 lbs the first day and 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5. For little ones, I just use a 3cc syringe and stick it back in their mouth.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I use a syringe without the needle. When the dose is small because the kids are still small, that means I can get away using a 3cc syringe which is the easiest to navigate. Next I would graduate to a 12cc syringe. I get the goat between my legs facing away from me. Sometimes I have to back up to a wall or a corner so the goat can't back up any further. I can usually control their chest and/or neck. I usually control their head with my left and run the syringe with my right as I am right handed. I put the thumb of my left hand in their mouth with my fingers gripping under the jaw, and come in from the right corner of the goat's mouth with the syringe. I don't try and bury the syringe down their throat. It depends on how the goat is acting. Their head needs to be pointed up. Mouth open slightly. I squirt some or all depending on how they are acting. If they are acting like I am killing them, I just give them a little to start. Once they swallow once, I usually give the rest. For me, how this goes is heavily dependent on how much liquid I am actually having to give. The smaller the amount, the easier. That's why I like to use 40% Di-Methox as the dose is much smaller. It helps if you assume a "resistance is futile" , but patient demeanor through out the procedure. ;)

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I gave mine in a big syringe with no needle much as Tenacross described, it actually goes pretty easy.

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got them done....sort of. They spit some out. I have no idea how much they might have lost. Can I give a smidge extra tomorrow or do I just go with what they got. I'll get the di-methox one of these days but the feed store had this and nothing else. I felt fortunate to find this! I called everywhere for any cocci treatment and no one had anything! Is this usable in water? The babies have a small one gallon bucket they share.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't like mixing in water so ce some may get more than others your really better off just adding a little pen syrup and oil to make it taste bettet

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
29,959 Posts
I too gave it straight up..get that syringe way back in the throat they taste less...some do act like you just poisoned them lol..poor things...Sulmet is bittler nasty stuff..
(yes I tasted it, not by choice lol )

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
The taste is terrible. I accidentally got a tiny bit in my mouth when I put the syringe in my mouth while trying to give it to them. I spit and sputtered just like they do lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts