The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there one? There are words I'm seeing as I read through posts that make me feel like it's another language.

I know the chicken forum I'm a member of (byc) has a glossary of chicken terms. Does this forum have one as well?

Examples of my loss of understanding:

whether
banding

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do you mean like...
Doe: A female goat
Buck: A male goat
Wether: A male goat that has been castrated
?
I have never seen one if so. I'll be glad to help you out though if that's what you mean :) (and I'm sure others will too)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know doe, buck, doeling, buckling, kid, hooves, horns, and now wether (which you just clarified for me as a male goat that's been castrated).

Everything else? Not a clue.

·
Registered
471 Posts
FF = Firster Freshener. Freshening is giving birth...so when we say a doe freshened on so-and-so date, we are actually saying gave birth.
Open = Not bred.
In milk = pretty obvious but means she is currently milking.
Dry = Not milking.
Disbud = This is when the horns are removed as "buds" when they are babies.
Dehorn = Surgical removal of the adult horn.
Scur = A deformed horn resulting from a botched disbudding attemt, they are weak and flimsy and look nothing like horns usually.
Banding = When a rubber band is put around the testicles to castrate.

Are there any in particular that you'd like to know? There are so many that it would be easier if you told me some that you don't know.

Here is a link on dairy goat anatomy. It's the same for meat goats, they just look different.
Here is a link for meat goats.

·
1,132 Posts
Sorry I can't find the post. I guess it was too long ago. When I don't know what something means I just jump in the middle of the thread and ask what the term means. Or whenever you see a term and you aren't sure what it means you can post on this thread. Most of the people on here are very helpful and maybe the mods will see the thread and make a glossary like you suggested.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here's one. Not exactly a definition request, but clarification on how and why etc. etc.

I see a lot of mention about offering baking soda. Why? at what age? how? in a bucket? sprinkled on food?

And minerals. My babies are only 5 weeks old. Do they need minerals? is it a block, like a salt block for cows?

Oops, that was two :eek:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ok, here's one. Not exactly a definition request, but clarification on how and why etc. etc.

I see a lot of mention about offering baking soda. Why? at what age? how? in a bucket? sprinkled on food?

And minerals. My babies are only 5 weeks old. Do they need minerals? is it a block, like a salt block for cows?

Oops, that was two :eek:
Goats are ruminants, meaning that they have multiple stomachs and chew their own cud. Their rumen (one of the stomachs) is the fermenting vat where the cud comes from. Goats produce lots of sodium bicarbonate in their saliva, and it usually keeps the rumen in check, allowing them to burp and release the gasses, but when they eat too much grain or grass for their bodies to handle, it turns into acid and burns the lining along with bubbling up and causing what is referred to as bloat.

Science lecture aside, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) left out helps them regulate their acid levels. I personally keep around a half cup in a small dish free choice for does, and offer it nightly for the bucks and wethers, replacing it every day with fresh. I have three males and three does, sexes separate.

The minerals are to make up for what's lacking in their diet. A few good choices are Manna Pro, Sweetlix Meatmaker 16:8, and Cargill Onyx. Grains don't offer enough minerals, and most other goat minerals don't have enough of what goats need. They have very high copper needs, and you may have to bolus them every 6-8 months starting at 6 months of age. Loose minerals are the best for goats, blocks are too hard for their teeth.

Did that help some?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um, what's bolus?

And will I need to offer baking soda now with them drinking milk? They do eat a tiny bit of hay...actually, I can't confirm that. They chew on it. I have no idea if they swallow it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Um, what's bolus?

And will I need to offer baking soda now with them drinking milk? They do eat a tiny bit of hay...actually, I can't confirm that. They chew on it. I have no idea if they swallow it.
A copper bolus is a gel capsule filled with wire oxide particles. It's slow release, so the goats get a constant supply.

I would go ahead and offer them baking soda. If they ever get a sour tummy, they'll take a few bites and resolve it. They can get bloat too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What if they don't touch the bs? I can't get them to eat grain...i've gotten caramel (the little one) to eat one piece out of my hand. They won't eat any out of the grain dish I put out for them. And they will NOT drink any water out of the bowl. And since I can't bottle feed them water, they aren't getting any water at all. Should I be worried about that??? If they refuse to touch the baking soda, should I put it in their bottle of milk or something? I feel like such a dummy, I swear. I am so clueless!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
What if they don't touch the bs? I can't get them to eat grain...i've gotten caramel (the little one) to eat one piece out of my hand. They won't eat any out of the grain dish I put out for them. And they will NOT drink any water out of the bowl. And since I can't bottle feed them water, they aren't getting any water at all. Should I be worried about that??? If they refuse to touch the baking soda, should I put it in their bottle of milk or something? I feel like such a dummy, I swear. I am so clueless!!!
If they've never been shown how to eat or drink, it takes them a little longer to figure it out but don't worry, they will! Don't worry about grain at this point other than nibbles, their stomachs can't really handle it. And with the baking soda, sometimes a nibble is all it takes. If you think their stomachs are getting sour, you can put a pinch in their bottles, but they probably don't need anything right now.

If you're really concerned with water, pinch the skin at the neck where it's loose. It should go back nearly instantly, if it tents they are dehydrated. Right now I would just wet my hand and put it to their lips, and dip their heads down so that their lips touch it. They will figure it out on their own though, trust me.

Oh, and don't feel stupid...we all start somewhere. If you haven't already, read some of the articles from FiasCo Farms and Onion Creek Ranch Health and Management Articles. They are have a great wealth of information.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll test the skin tomorrow. Thank you very much. Now to go read some more and see if I can find any more words or phrases I can ask about :)

·
8,394 Posts
DH- dear husband. Sometimes said lovingly other times sarcastically!
cc and a ml are the same on a syringe

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
my 9 week old buckling was licking bits of baking soda and minerals since he was very little. I see him lick a few licks...maybe mostly to mimic mom? just leave some baking soda out...it's like us taking tums when we have acid built up in our bellies.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not something I read, but a behavior I'm curious about. If I put my hand down, palm facing the kid's head, sometimes they will push on it with their heads (where the horns are) and front of their faces (heads down). Not rub it like they want to be scratched, but push hard and stand completely still. Why do they do that sometimes?

·
Registered
471 Posts
They are butting you...that's something that should be discouraged. When you push their heads, it says that you are challenging them, and they also do it to play. I tugged down sharply and said NO! in a very firm voice to them, and that helped. They're not trying to be mean, it's a lot like when a puppy mouths you. They don't know that it can hurt you when they get big, and they're also animals so you want them to know that you're the "herd queen"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts