The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With kidding on the horizon so is disbudding :/ . I've got my iron ordered and now I'm wondering what kind of heat proof gloves you guys like to use to keep your hands safe while working with the disbudding iron?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just use normal leather work gloves. I tried the welding gloves but they were so thick it was hard to hang onto their heads with them on, so I changed to the leather. It’s not like the iron is going to sit there burning the glove you just want it to keep your poor little fingers safe if the baby jerks and that fast tap doesn’t get you.
No matter which kind you to for though, welding or cheap fairly thin ones I would just make sure they are leather so no chance of melting onto your hand

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Some people build/use a kidding box for disbudding. It's basically a narrow rectangular box structure with a closing lid that can be fastened shut. There is an opening on one end large enough for the neck circumference to fit through yet small enough to prevent the head from being drawn back into the box. The height would depend upon the average height of most of the kids born on your farm. It might be similar to a cattle chute in theory. Kids are squirming critters that resist having their heads held on both sides.

·
8,171 Posts
I got a pair of tig welder gloves. They are made of goatskin! and are thin enough to be able to feel everything, but give a level of heat protection. Any welding place sells them- they do cost about $18 or more, but are nice to wear. They fit snugly so they aren't clunky like most leather work gloves. They have kevlar stitching, so the heat won't burn the threads. My disbudding pair is probably 6 years old and I have disbudded hundreds of kids wearing them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts