The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What feeds are considered GMO? We are in the process of switching over feeds and would like to know more about GMO. The mix we are going to switch over to is, oats,barley, BOSS, a tad bit of corn and Calf Manna. Which of these contains GMO? Would these be bad to feed because of GMO?

Question number 2.

Anybody use Purina Goat Chow? Any good reports on it? Thinking about feeding this to the does in their milking feed.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Any corn has a high probability of being GMO..most likely calf manna has GMO grain in it...I have not heard of oats and barley as GMO yet...best bet is organic to be some what sure its not GMO...

I have not used Purina myself

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any corn has a high probability of being GMO..most likely calf manna has GMO grain in it...I have not heard of oats and barley as GMO yet...best bet is organic to be some what sure its not GMO...

I have not used Purina myself
Calf manna has soy. Is that GMO? What about BOSS? GMO?

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Soy is most likely GMO....BOSS should be ok from what I read...

My mix has been

WHole oats
BOSS
Calf manna and
Beet pulp..which could also be GMO lol..
Im switching to

organic Whole oats
origic whole Barley
Organis BOSS if I can find it affordable!! so far it not been...so we use non organic BOSS
And we use Alfalfa pellets, whic could also be GMO..so we look for organic...

Its not easy trying to avoid GMO..we can only do what we can...Its important to my family that we move away from GMO...
Im also looking at Chafhaye again...to add to the feed ration...maybe for the gals in milk or needing a bit extra ...Im not a nutritionist, so Im feeling my way through lol

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Anybody use Purina Goat Chow? Any good reports on it? Thinking about feeding this to the does in their milking feed.
There have been a number of threads regarding Purina and their practice of changing out ingredients due to cheaper cost. I wouldn't feed Purina to my open does, let alone my milking does. If the brand name is Purina, you can pretty much bet you are paying a premium price for a less than premium feed.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
anything that would have corn or soy would more likely than not be GMO, unless you're buying certified organic, but it'll likely be contaminated with GMO pollen (since it's now grown everywhere).

GMO alfalfa is now approved to be grown, so now we all have to be careful with that. sigh...

oats, barley and BOSS are not GMO crops

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anything that would have corn or soy would more likely than not be GMO, unless you're buying certified organic, but it'll likely be contaminated with GMO pollen (since it's now grown everywhere).

GMO alfalfa is now approved to be grown, so now we all have to be careful with that. sigh...

oats, barley and BOSS are not GMO crops
THAT'S PERFECT!!!! That was the mix I was gonna use! Well, I was gonna add corn but, now that is GMO, no corn.

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soy is most likely GMO....BOSS should be ok from what I read...

My mix has been

WHole oats
BOSS
Calf manna and
Beet pulp..which could also be GMO lol..
Im switching to

organic Whole oats
origic whole Barley
Organis BOSS if I can find it affordable!! so far it not been...so we use non organic BOSS
And we use Alfalfa pellets, whic could also be GMO..so we look for organic...

Its not easy trying to avoid GMO..we can only do what we can...Its important to my family that we move away from GMO...
Im also looking at Chafhaye again...to add to the feed ration...maybe for the gals in milk or needing a bit extra ...Im not a nutritionist, so Im feeling my way through lol
Alfalfa pellets, Calf Manna, and Beet pulp, are all GMO. So I would stay away from that.

Kind of a weird time to ask this..... How does it hurt the animal if it's a GMO feed? What if they eat it?

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Alfalfa pellets, Calf Manna, and Beet pulp, are all GMO. So I would stay away from that.
Yes, this is why we are changing our feed :wink:

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
a good place to read

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/doctors-warn

Among the population, biologist David Schubert of the Salk Institute warns that "children are the most likely to be adversely effected by toxins and other dietary problems" related to GM foods. He says without adequate studies, the children become "the experimental animals."[2]

The experience of actual GM-fed experimental animals is scary. When GM soy was fed to female rats, most of their babies died within three weeks-compared to a 10% death rate among the control group fed natural soy.[3] The GM-fed babies were also smaller, and later had problems getting pregnant.[4]

When male rats were fed GM soy, their testicles actually changed color-from the normal pink to dark blue.[5] Mice fed GM soy had altered young sperm.[6] Even the embryos of GM fed parent mice had significant changes in their DNA.[7] Mice fed GM corn in an Austrian government study had fewer babies, which were also smaller than normal.[8]

Reproductive problems also plague livestock. Investigations in the state of Haryana, India revealed that most buffalo that ate GM cottonseed had complications such as premature deliveries, abortions, infertility, and prolapsed uteruses. Many calves died. In the US, about two dozen farmers reported thousands of pigs became sterile after consuming certain GM corn varieties. Some had false pregnancies; others gave birth to bags of water. Cows and bulls also became infertile when fed the same corn.[9]

·
Registered
6,548 Posts

Kind of a weird time to ask this..... How does it hurt the animal if it's a GMO feed? What if they eat it?
There really isn't much evidence that it DOES hurt the animal. There is just a lot of anecdotal info out there that GMO is bad. Noone seems to realize that we do GMO all the time on things besides animals even. GMO increases resistance to diseases for crops...means that my dad doesn't have to pour as many chemicals onto his fields. Some countries have supposedly banned GMO grains. I honestly do think there needs to be some more testing before it is considered perfectly safe (as a LOT of big companies do claim) but I also don't think it's as big a deal as some think. Kind of like the big scare years ago from using...umm...yep, my memory has gone blank...it was a hormone implant used in cattle. OMG! It causes cancer, etc. You would have had to eat 10 pounds of beef every single day for 30 years to get enough of the hormone used to cause any issue....but...

Yep, I'm gonna get blasted for this one. I'm just giving my opinion and I think there is a lot of "scare tactics" out there over nothing.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
oh, and since alfalfa is so integral to health, I would suggest going to your local alfalfa grower and ask some questions before buying. much safer than buying the pelleted stuff.... I have to roll the dice b/c my only option is to buy pelleted alfalfa since it doesn't grow here...

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts
I believe the Roundup used on GM corn damages your intestines, even if GM isn't bad per se.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Yep, I'm gonna get blasted for this one
No need to get blasted...we all are intitled to our own opinion!...

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Round Up has been used for YEARS on everything else. And, NO, I don't believe all the chemicals that get used are harmless.
Just because its been used for years, doesnt make it safe. Many time the effects dont show for years to come or not connected to the illness or defect...and just because its natural doesnt make it safe...I mean Rat poison is all natural, but we wouldnt eat it lol, Each needs to research and decide how we want to raise our families and animals...where one chooses Chemical wormers, another herbal..niether is wrong, both are a choice...same with our feeds, grains and hays..I feel all the influence man has over how our foods are grown has had dramaitc effectson our health..so we are chooseing to go as natural as we can....however if my family or animals need medication thats not natural to survive, I will give it....

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have been going back and fourth with the idea to feed non GMO feed to my goats as well as my chickens (especially chickens since i will be eating the eggs and my goats arent being milked yet) but i have been having a hard time finding anything that is non GMO and isnt outrageously expensive. Is there any way to go non GMO without having to spend a lot of money? Like are there any feed companies that are better than others even if they arent organic?

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Non GMO, organic or kosher...its going to cost. It cost more to produce this clean food source so they have to charge more...maybe not as much as they charge lol..but it is more costly...making changes slowly so you dont feel the pinch so much is a good way to go...Check around, ask local farmers..I would much rather support a local farmer then order out...We are growing our own wheat from very old seed...its slow growing..but its a clean source and we can wait...we plan on planting as much of our own as we can.

·
Registered
110 Posts
around where i live its mostly cow dairy farms, ill have to start asking around tho. I did go to my local feed mill recently and their goat feed was alright but it was mostly corn and soy meal and the chicken feed was just corn soy and limestone and then some vitamins. I am going to start growing some of my own feed but i dont think i have enough land to grow enough for my animals

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
you can always ask your feed mill if they have any grains that are un-sprayed (e.g. oats, barley, BOSS, etc...they're not GMO). with chicken feed, you can do a black soldier fly composter and harvest larvae as their feed... pm me if you're interested. I don't know where you are, but it only works during the summer, but you can harvest enough to save over winter and then give them compost to scratch around in...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts