goat aborted and now sick wont walk.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by babe817, Jun 4, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    our female goat aborted 2 twins. we were not there to see if she gave birth to the placenta. yesterday she was up eatin, walking.. she was with the kids for ages to we took them.now today shes sick. wont walk, just want to lay down. we washed her but vag and tail because it smells.. gave her the meds.ect oxytocin ,molassese ect..

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When you say smells...do you mean like stinky bad rotten odor? She has an infection and I would advise you to contact a vet as it seems that she is "down" you will have a problem treating her on your own, a vet would have the right meds for the problem.

3. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    got meds off vet. the vets here arent goat ppl.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did he give you an antibiotic? I know baytril is not usually recommended for goats, but here I think I would use it. She has gone down pretty fast.

I will be :pray: for her. :hug:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what kind of meds did you get off vet the ones you listed above?

I would give her some calcium - cmpk gel or cal-c-fresh are what I recomend but if you can't get that try some tums crushed up and mix with water to drench her.

what is her temp? Take it rectally. Normal temp is between 101.1 and 104 anything lower or higher is a problem.

Call some horse vets as they maybe willing to come out and treat her.

Have you given her nutri drench?

Try some karo syrup mixed with coffee (equal parts) and give her a couple ccs of that. This will boost her energy.

is she drinking? eating? If she isn't eating you need to get some yogurt or probios into her. Probios can be in a tube or a powder. Check your feed store it is usually with the horse stuff.

I am sorry if you know all this stuff already I just don't wnat to miss anything just in case you aren't familiar with it.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    If you girl has a temperature especially a high temp, she probably needs antibiotics asap. I would also like Stacey said, get aome calcium into right away. Both of these things can kill her fast.
    Also dehydration can be a problem and she might need rehydration too.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    How is she doing today? Any improvement? I'm :pray: for her!

Make sure that she is getting up and walking around so the rumen does not stop. You don't want her to founder on you.

8. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    hi, yes shes getting a bit better.. she will walk now.. but shes taking it slow. so i hope she keeps improving... thanks for all your help.

9. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    at the goat farm I was taking care of earlier this spring I had a doe kid only a week early, she had triplets, 1 still born, 1 not totally formed and 1 near death, I was able the keep the little buckling alive for 24 hours, he was to weak no matter what I did, and the Mom, had no interest in standing, I gave her 2 calcium tablets right away and 1 2x a day for at least 2 weeks, she slowing regained her legs an was able to walk, however being down so long she did loose half her milk. I would deffinetly give her calcium daily for a while she sounds like she is making better progress then the doe I was tending. Best of luck

10. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    shes now eating,walking fine.. but we are still watching her as shes still a little sick... but im glad shes up and getting around..
    thank you everyone for your replys.

11. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    :clap: glad to hear she is doing better :leap:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wonderful. Keep us informed on how she is doing.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is great. Keep a very close eye on her. She sounds JUST LIKE one of my does that had a retained baby and I almost lost her. I went into mom and pulled a baby 20 hours after the other twins were born. Yes I agree with Stacey, I would STILL offer her calcium. Even if it is your calcium pills ground up. That is what I did and it saved my doe.