Goat absorbed fetus or aborting??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Vbbgranch, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Vbbgranch

Vbbgranch New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    So back in mid august I put 4 does in with my buck and end of beginning of september my 1 year old dapple I had just bought got through the fence in with the buck. I'm not sure if it's because she was being picked on or if she was in heat but the buck did breed her. Shes 80 pounds so I wasnt worried about delivery just more concerned about her growing and planned to lute but I couldnt get any due to working on building up hay for the winter. Yesterday I went out into the doe pen and she normally comes over to see me but not that day she wanted nothing to do with me and just wanted to be alone. So I checked her out and upon inspection I noticed dried bloody mucus on her tail and some dark brow red blood that was still wet and looked like it was still coming out. I left her for 3 hours and contacted my vet who informed me to keep an eye on her.
    I did that then had to leave for work. However before leaving I got her up and hacked on her one last time her twat was completely clean except for the now dried dark brown red blood on her twat and vulva lips were clean. Dried blood mucus was still in tail as well and this is still going on today.

Is it possible le for a doe to lose the pregnancy early and still carry until her body says it's time to abort?? Or could she have absorbed the fetus and what I'm seeing is just what hasnt been absorbed that the body is kicking out? Or has kicked out??

I'm going to have my vet come out but I dont get paid til thursday and shes leaving for a trip Thursday and wont be back til sunday and told me to just keep an eye on her til sunday. I paid alot of money for this boer doe I'd hate to lose her because my vets unavailable. I also should mention shes eating fine I havent seen her drink water though.

Also two years ago we dealt with an abortion from a 2 year old doe and she didnt do this she had stringing blood and mucus and we had to fish the baby out because her cervix was closing. However this doe doesnt have the stringing blood mucus at all just dried stuff as mentioned above.
    And shes not acting sick she was just a little down yesterday but after a full tummy she was fine but still looked to be a tad bit blah.

2. Vbbgranch

Vbbgranch New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    This is her Vulva yesterday after I checked it before going to work her vulva was not viewable and covered by the same brown red blood that's now dried 20181103_124258.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2018

3. Vbbgranch

Vbbgranch New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    No one else has had this happen??

4. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I’ve never personally had it happen, but it does sound like she’s aborting from what I’ve read/heard.

5. Vbbgranch

Vbbgranch New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Okay. Is it normal for abortions to stop suddenly?? Cause that's what happened and no babies are present at all

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "end of beginning of September." But if she was bred in September, that would only put her at about 2 months pregnant. You aren't going to see much. That probably was the full abortion. I'd get a temp and keep an eye on her.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  7. Vbbgranch

Vbbgranch New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Okay I meant end of august to beginning of September lol my bad I have to learn to slow down when I type haha. But okay sounds good. I will do that I even told my vet shes been eating shes doing great now but shes not passing anything and vet said to just keep an eye on her as well.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah sadly, she most likely aborted and no, you won't see any fetus, it will be so small.

Vbbgranch likes this.
  9. Vbbgranch

Vbbgranch New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Okay cool. I'm good with absorption cause then I dont have to worry about anything coming out. I'll keep up doses of la 200 each week just to make sure. I might call a vet that I know who has an ultrasound system to make sure shes not holding a dead kid in there and not at risk of septic infection.
    But i really think she had to of absorbed it otherwise it would have seen something by now for the past two days and the blood would have been fresher and brighter i think??

Goat_Scout likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Being 2 months along, she most likely expelled it, so tiny you won't see it.

11. Vbbgranch

Vbbgranch New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Ohhh okay well that's good :)

toth boer goats likes this.