The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a boer goat that is bred. This is her first time kidding. Earlier in the week I noticed that she was laying down more but her appetite was still good. I noticed that she acted like she was pushing and urine was coming out. The urine seemed thicker and her backend was wet. She also acts like it hurts her to stand up. She is huge! I called the vet and he gave me Excede because he thought she might have a bladder infection. I gave her the shot on Monday and then repeated it again on Friday. I went ahead and checked her keytones which were negative but still started giving her calicum and B complex. She doesn't get up unless I make her. She is eating and drinking. She acts like she is pushing but no discharge so I know she isn't in labor. I have continued to give calicum and b complex all week. The earliest she could be due is January 23. I don't know what else to do for her. I hate to induce because I don't know for sure when she is due Any one ever had a doe act like this? I have had does with toxemia and ketosis, but this seems different. Here is a picture from a few days ago
Goat Liver Working animal Dog breed Wood

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
I have a boer goat that is bred. This is her first time kidding. Earlier in the week I noticed that she was laying down more but her appetite was still good. I noticed that she acted like she was pushing and urine was coming out. The urine seemed thicker and her backend was wet. She also acts like it hurts her to stand up. She is huge! I called the vet and he gave me Excede because he thought she might have a bladder infection. I gave her the shot on Monday and then repeated it again on Friday. I went ahead and checked her keytones which were negative but still started giving her calicum and B complex. She doesn't get up unless I make her. She is eating and drinking. She acts like she is pushing but no discharge so I know she isn't in labor. I have continued to give calicum and b complex all week. The earliest she could be due is January 23. I don't know what else to do for her. I hate to induce because I don't know for sure when she is due Any one ever had a doe act like this? I have had does with toxemia and ketosis, but this seems different. Here is a picture from a few days ago View attachment 194747
I wonder if you could use the human amniotic test strips to see if maybe her water has broken. Have you tried at all to check and see if she is dialating? I k ow you said she is not in labor but maybe somethin strange is happening back there. Did you vet not come out to check her when they gave you antibiotics? If not i would have them come out a d physically check on her a d do an ultrasound to see if kids are still alive in there. She had been doing this for several days now. Plus her due date is not that far off and maybe she has a bunch of kids in there making things happen a bit early. I would def have my kidding kit ready. And be watching her like a hawk. You als really need to make her move around. Not moving is going to make things worse for birth. Have the kids dropped at all? How is her udder looking?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has an udder, but it isn't real tight yet. It doesn't seem like the babies have dropped. The vet didn't come out to check her. We don't really have a vet in the area that does farm calls:( I have been making her move around every few hours. I haven't tried to check her for dialiation. I always hate risking infection by going in. I have someone coming to help me hold her in the morning so I can check her.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Even though she is still eating and not typical Toxemia and ketones are negative, I would probably do a little daily dose of sugars just in case she is on the verge. A 30mL syringe of Karo and Molasses might do the trick and won't hurt if she's not.

I was hoping someone else might chime in on the daily calcium drench! Which type are you using? Does she have alfalfa in her diet up to this point?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I always use Daily calcium gummies but keep CMPK on hand and use 15ml for my nigies. I believe it’s double that for the bigger breeds.
I don’t like CMPK because it burns the throat with the PG in it.
Canned cream corn and pumpkin purée is good too.
My magic recipe is
2 parts Karo syrup
1 part molasses
1 part corn oil

5 squirts Of dyne- for dense calories Is good too.

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
A juice of carrot and celery is a safe way to get calcium in her long term. And its yummy. Just juice 2 each and drench her that a few times a day. Her due date is close..and she is huge. So good chance she is slowing down because of that but we don't want to assume and do nothing. Hypocalcemia also known as milk fever often causes back legs to be cool to the touch..possibly her udder to be cool. May see legs trembling.
Keep her walking...several times a day.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I found a vet to come out and check her. Her cervix is closed and the babies are alive. He thinks she still has a bladder infection or he said the babies could just be putting pressure on the bladder. He switched antibiotics and he gave her some medicine for the swelling and probiotics. He said we could induce but there is always the risk of losing the babies. She is eating and drinking so I opted to wait on the inducing. I will just keep a close eye on her and hopefully she will feel better in a couple days. Thanks for all the help:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am still really worried about this goat. Yesterday she seemed to act a little better and not pushing as much. Today has been rough. She is still eating and drinking, but pushing more. I called the vet again today and he doesn't seemed concerned. He said until she prolapses there isn't anything else that can be done:( The first picture is when she is just laying down and not pushing. The 2nd picture is when she pushes. I have never had anything like this in my herd and I don't know how to help her:(
View attachment 195023 View attachment 195025

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
Possible a weak perineal. That area normally strong enough to keep everything up tight, but when weak it can pooch out. She maybe pushing due to the pressure. Calcium can help in some cases of prolapse...and although she not prolapsing now,,which is good..adding calcium wouldnt hurt. 2 ways you can do this...Grab CMPK and drench 30 cc 2 times a day Or my preferred is to feed 30 cc of carrot and celery juice. Usually 2 carrot and 2 celery 3-4 times a day can boost calcium and support things.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Possible a weak perineal. That area normally strong enough to keep everything up tight, but when weak it can pooch out. She maybe pushing due to the pressure. Calcium can help in some cases of prolapse...and although she not prolapsing now,,which is good..adding calcium would hurt. 2 ways you can do this...Grab CMPK and drench 30 cc 2 times a day Or my preferred is to feed 30 cc of carrot and celery juice. Usually 2 carrot and 2 celery 3-4 times a day can boost calcium and support things.
Ok thank you! I will definitely get her started on that. Can they normally deliver with it like that?

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
Yes. Usually they can deliver without issue. Always good to alert your vet to her situation ( which I think you did?).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes. Usually they can deliver without issue. Always good to alert your vet to her situation ( which I think you did?).
The vet has been helping me treat her so hopefully he will be available if needed. She is having trouble with one of her back legs too. I am wondering if there is too much pressure on a nerve or something. I plan to induce her tomorrow afternoon. I will be able to be here all weekend so hopefully everything goes well

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
Yes..its possible babies are pinching a nerve... sending happy wishes for successful dilvery!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts