Goat acting strange

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by aimiecrowder, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Cmpk tastes awful. The carrots sound way better! I give my does calcium Gummies. Most love them. They are in vitamin aisle at Walmart.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  2. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Quick question what is cmpk?

MadHouse likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Often used for Calcium booster

CMPK D3 Drench is an oral Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Vitamin D3 Supplement for use before and after freshening in Dairy and Beef Cattle, to help maintain normal levels of these nutrients, CMPK D3 Drench is also suggested for sheep and goats.

4. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    How is your doe doing this evening? Assuming she was induced several hours ago is her labor active yet?

MadHouse likes this.
  5. aimiecrowder

aimiecrowder Active Member

Jun 17, 2017
    I gave her the meds at 12:30 today. She is miserable. Still some pushing from the pressure back there at times. Starting to see some discharge and she us not happy. I am just praying that as she dialates some of the pressure goes down so she can push those babies out

MadHouse likes this.
  6. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    I hope all goes well @aimiecrowder . (pray) (console) Will check in again before bedtime and first thing in the morning. You and the doe will continue to be in my thoughts.

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I hope your doe is ok?

MadHouse likes this.
  8. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    So do I. Checked your thread a little earlier, figured you may have had a long night with her and would get back to us later this morning.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. aimiecrowder

Jun 17, 2017
    I checked on her throughout the night. At 6:30 this morning she was passing the water sack. She was pushing and nothing was happening. I was unable to feel the babies so I had my neighbor come over. He couldn't feel them either. I knew we needed to get them out. The vet came about 9:30. She had triplets. The first two were stuck and didn't make it. The last one is weak but still fighting. He is in the house on a heating pad. The doe is unable to stand so I milked some colostrum and syringe feed the baby. Mom is eating but still unable to get up. Started her on antibiotics and some pain meds. Hopefully she will be able to care for him soon. 20210123_123626.jpg 20210123_131924.jpg 20210123_131922.jpg

Carl47, goatblessings and MadHouse like this.
  10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    awe so sorry you lost two. this little one is beautiful. Prayers he and mom recovers. Try helping her up, support with a large towel/sling if needed. fingers crossed

11. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Am sorry there were 2 stillborn. Hopefully the gorgeous brown buckling and the doe continue to gain their strength. Let her see, sniff, lick, her surviving baby; offer him to her rear end first. You may have already done this, so my bad if you've been there done that.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Ooooh he is adorable. Sorry you lost 2. Good luck

MadHouse likes this.
  13. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    @aimiecrowder How is everything going with you, the doe and the newborn buckling?

MadHouse likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Adorable, praying all will be OK.

MadHouse likes this.
  15. aimiecrowder

Jun 17, 2017
    The buckling seems to be doing well. He is eating well. The doe is still struggling. Still can't stand, crying a lot, and still hasn't passed afterbirth.

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    How her temp? Is she staying upright? Are you working her legs for her, adding resistance? Goats loose muscle strength super fast. Laying around doesn't help rumen function...she need to get up, even with help. Use a large towel like a sling and see if she will get up with support. The longer she's down, the less likely she will get back up.
    Would do b complex daily to support her system. Probiotics to keep proper flora.
    Might try a uterine flush. 50/50 warm vinegar and water...use a larger syring or squeeze type bottle to flush her out.

Prayers she rallies

17. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Oh Aimee, I really hope she turns the corner soon for you.....

MadHouse likes this.
  18. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    So sorry Aimie. @happybleats gave some very good advice in the post a few before this one. The doe needs more after care yet.

Very possibly some more oxytocin to help pass the after birth, more than likely a round of antibiotics, a uterine flush as described by "happybleats" is needed as well, would do that as soon as possible. Wouldn't hurt to check her inner eyelids also.

Try to help support her so she can stand up. Maybe prop some bales of hay beside her once you get her in an upright laying down position. Laying flat makes it more difficult to breath properly, causes the rumen to want to shut down and makes it more difficult for recovering.

Aimee, the doe is suffering. (pray)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    MadHouse likes this.
  19. aimiecrowder

Jun 17, 2017
    Thank you for all the advice. She is on antibiotics and B Complex. I tried a sling tonight and was unable to get her up:( It is her right rear leg. I will get some more oxy and flush her out in the morning. I should have someone that can help me hold her up in the morning. I am also drenching her with electrolytes and giving probias.

MadHouse likes this.
  20. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Good luck with her. (console) I know how difficult all of these complications can be. Hang in there, okay. Whatever the case may be, we are here if you need us for advice, to hear the success stories, for a boost of strength, for words of encouragement, to vent out frustration, a shoulder to cry on ...

GoofyGoat, JML Farms and MadHouse like this.