The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is only my second goat birth, the first was horrible. The vet had to deliver it. This one wasn't bad but isn't there suppose to be some sort of afterbirth that comes out? Just the baby came out and nothing else. I called the vet and he said it would be ok that it would just rot in there and pass on its own. But that just doesn't sound right to me? Some advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long ago did she kid?
About 1 1/2 hours ago. The baby came out and the cord was still connected inside. the mama bit it and then started bleeding a little then nothing else came out. Sorry if I sound like a dummy this was my first time by myself.

·
14,615 Posts
It's ok just give her time. Did she chew off the cord closest to the kid? That's perfectly normal.
The kid nursing produces natural oxytocin which helps uterus conract, you should see the afterbirth soon.
Some pass it almost immecdiatly & some take up to 24 hrs.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's ok just give her time. Did she chew off the cord closest to the kid? That's perfectly normal.
The kid nursing produces natural oxytocin which helps uterus conract, you should see the afterbirth soon.
Some pass it almost immecdiatly & some take up to 24 hrs.
Thanks. I have been a nervous wreck all morning. Was just scared something was gonna go wrong again. Thanks :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes it will come out, its already starting to.
No that is not right what the vet told! If the afterbirth never came out, yes it would rot in her, and cause her to get a massive infection and most likely die. He shouldn't have his license if he's telling people that!

But she is fine, her's is coming out. Cute baby!

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Yahoooo congrats on one adorable little kid...my she ?he is adorable......Glad mom did good...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No that is not right what the vet told! If the afterbirth never came out, yes it would rot in her, and cause her to get a massive infection and most likely die. He shouldn't have his license if he's telling people that!

Thanks.
Yeah I thought it was crazy too. There are two dr.s at the vets office here. My vet that I always use and the one that owns the practice wasn't in so they put that quack on the phone instead. I plan on calling tomorrow to let dr.wester know what he told me.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Thanks.
Yeah I thought it was crazy too. There are two dr.s at the vets office here. My vet that I always use and the one that owns the practice wasn't in so they put that quack on the phone instead. I plan on calling tomorrow to let dr.wester know what he told me.
Actually your vet was half right. If it doesnt pass by the morning, call the vet for a shot of oxytocin which can help it pass. If it still doesnt, then yes it will stay inside and rot however this is quite common for goats and usually doesnt cause any complications as long as the doe has been treated for antibiotics.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts

This isnt true. Retained placenta is quite a common thing with goats. As long as the doe is put on antibiotics, that will prevent an infection and they generally dont have any complications. And if they do get an infection from a retained placenta, called metritis, its easily treated and extremely rare for a goat to die from it.

·
2,203 Posts
This isnt true. Retained placenta is quite a common thing with goats. As long as the doe is put on antibiotics, that will prevent an infection and they generally dont have any complications. And if they do get an infection from a retained placenta, called metritis, its easily treated and extremely rare for a goat to die from it.
Couldn't have said it any better. Happens all the time in cattle as well. Easy to catch, easy to treat, very few complications.

·
8,365 Posts
Cute baby! I am sure you already know, but don't pull on the placenta. (afterbirth). It is attached inside with little
button things- kind of like velcro, and if you pull them, they can actually tear the uterus.
The doe may eat all or some of the afterbirth. It won't hurt her, but I always like to get rid of it after they check it out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

I agree!!! I'm thinking "the vet really said that!!!!" Wow!!!! Is all I can say! SMH

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Lala and baby are doing great:) and all seems well. What are the signs of an infection to look for just for future reference?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts