Goat anatomy

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mommaB, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Ok, so.......I know where the ligs are, and how to feel them. But here is my question.....why are those particular ones there, and why do they get mooshy and move? Do they move so that the kid(s) can come out? Just trying to get a better understanding of the way things work. I am gonna do some research, but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!

2. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

3. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I am going so assume its the same as the ligaments that women have in their back and across the abdomen, as the pregnancy progresses they loosen up to allow the pelvic bones to spread to allow the baby/in this case the kid, to fit into the birth canal. It's why as humans we waddle when we each get to a certain point in Pregnancy. Im not sure what it does to a goat, but it allows the pelvis bones to spread.

4. Well thats what I was thinking, but wasn't SURE.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    And then if you are like me, nothing is ever the same after that first time - bahahahaha

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :laugh:

Tisie...those tail ligaments that go soft before delivery are always "there"...even bucks have them, they're like rubber bands that hold everything together and when the doe is ready to deliver, they soften to allow the pelvic bones to spread enough to allow delivery...I also think that is why a doe goes posty...once the ligs go soft, the pelvis widens a tad and the rear legs adjust to the new position.

7. That was kinda my thinking! Thanks for all the reply's!

8. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Just a quick question, about my doe, who is due mid Feb. I have noticed that her ligs are sagging just a bit but still strong. Is this about right for her due date??

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Normal...you will find that with daily checks they will relax more and more....then when she is in labor you will really notice the difference between just low and soft or totally gone and her entire tail area is mush. I personally find that "mush" feeling gross! Have no problems with the birth ick but that mushy feeling is gross.

10. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks liz. I wasn't sure about the ligs. I thought once they started sagging that birth was close. So she shoud still be on schedule?? for a mid Feb. birth. I check them twice a day and noticed yesterday for the first time a slight sag and then again this morning a little more. Sorry if I am repeating myself.