Goat Anemic after worming

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BeanTobias97, May 19, 2014.

1. BeanTobias97

BeanTobias97 Emma

May 19, 2014
    virginia
    I recently got 2 goats from a very nice lady. Both are babies (around 4-5 months) and are for my 4-h (though they are coming home after) recently Tobias my wether, has taken a turn for the worse. He hasn't gained any weight, if anything he has lost. we called the lady who told us he had pretty bad worms. we wormed him (for 5 days) with a wormer. He brightened up for a day just a bit, and seemed better, you can see one vein now in one of his eyes. today I went out and he doesn't look any better. He is very weak, never cries, he eats plenty but never puts on weight, his tail and head droop. He just doesn't look right! he is very very anemic. almost no color to his eyes. my friend who also got a baby from the same person, said cinderella (the goat) has lice. I checked Tobias and sure enough he is COVERED in lice. I was wondering though, could lice make him as anemic as he is? He is my sweet munchkin baby and I really don't want anything to happen to him! he is gorgeous and such a nice baby! Bean my little doeling doesn't seem to be affected like him, though i would assume she would have lice to if he did. :) Im very new to goats (only 3 weeks) and want the best for them. Any ideas?

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes- lice can cause anemia. Treat them both for lice right away. It sounds like the wether is in bad shape.

You can use Python dust or similar, or injectable Ivomec (for cattle) at 1cc/30lbs of body weight injected subcutaneously and repeated in 10 and 20 days. Dusting you will also have to repeat. You also need to clean out their bedding and dust that before adding fresh bedding.

If he is very anemic then you should get injectable iron or Red Cell and begin treating him with one of those. Also offer spinach to boost iron. Are you familiar with FAMACHA scoring to determine anemia? Google FAMACHA to see the color chart and how/where to check (inside the lower eyelid, not the eye itself).

What dewormer did you use and how much did you give? Using it for 5 days straight is very unusual.

Have they had anything for coccidia prevention? Can you get a fecal analysis done by a vet that includes coccidia? That can cause the lack of weight gain you are describing.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, lice can cause anemia.

Worming for 5 days can kill the rumen.
    What did you use and why was it given 5 days straight?
    Over using wormers can make the goat immuned to them, causing it not to work.
    Making the goat overloaded with them.
    When worming, it is usually every 10 days 3 x. Injection or orally. If anemic, it must be given by injection.

I would give probitics and fortified vit B complex inj for 4 days.

No grain until he gets straightened out, especially his rumen.

Give an iron suppliment for the blood loss, treat for lice with permectrin II or as mentioned above.

I agree, cocci and worms can make them lose weight. I would get a fecal so there is no more guessing and you know what to treat for.
    It is well worth it when a goat is so down.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with everything said...
    for anemia...red cell is 6 cc per 100# daily for a week then once a week until color returns...B 12 alfalfa and green leaves ( high protein feeds as well once he is up and going) will help him rebuild his red blood cells...
    mix 50/50 ACV and water and drench 15-12 cc daily to speed recovery..

5. BeanTobias97

BeanTobias97 Emma

May 19, 2014
    virginia
    he's looking much better actually!!! I just went out and clipped both of them and put them in the sun, the lice weren't to happy! haha Im gonna go get both the B12 and some probiotic later today if possible (I'm 16 so i don't have a car yet)

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I had to clip mine for lice too..poor thing look like I used out push mower!! but it helped...

7. BeanTobias97

BeanTobias97 Emma

May 19, 2014
    virginia
    haha I'm actually quite impressed with my job! I don't think they look to bad! I was thinking they would look terrible!! other than looking slightly like poodles with fluffy legs they look decent! i found out though that my doe is huggge! she needs to cut back on the feed there! wowza! haha but by little wether is very very skinny :/
    this is Bean:
    [​IMG]

This is Tobias:
    [​IMG]

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Not bad..!!! Im too embarassed to show you mine LOL

9. BeanTobias97

BeanTobias97 Emma

May 19, 2014
    virginia
    lol I'm sure it wasn't to bad!! I have practice shaving because I have a horse. :)

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    awe..I make the mistake of shaving with the hair instead of against it, so left patches of hair lol...Might have to re do....lol

11. BeanTobias97

BeanTobias97 Emma

May 19, 2014
    virginia
    I did with hair first to get some of it off and then against the hair and used my mini shaver to get the lines :) I need to clean up bean so more as her neck is still pretty iffy...

12. BeanTobias97

BeanTobias97 Emma

May 19, 2014
    virginia
    Lol I wish you luck though! Having a 5 month old stay still for clipping is sure tricky! Haha

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    AWe.. the neck...I never know what to do there lol...Thanks for the tips...My clips were for "my eyes only" lol..we dont show...but still..poor girls are walking in shame lol..I might give a re do after all...

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Well I pulled my butchered girls back on the table and re did their hair cuts..went against the hair and they look SOOOOOOOooooo much better lol..i was afraid to cut them to the skin so didnt want to chance it but it looks so much better...now to get everyone else done for the hot months ahead!!

Thanks for the tip : ) Always learning new things...Gotta love it!!

15. BeanTobias97

BeanTobias97 Emma

May 19, 2014
    virginia
    Haha no problem! I wish I had more goats to clip! I love clipping! Haha their hair will grow back soon enough for another trim :) I'm glad she looks better!!! There is a certain way to do it for does Iv heard but I just slick shear them both. :) much quicker and I think it just looks neater than having tons of hair flying everywhere!