The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This nanny was attacked by three dogs last Monday and there are no vets in my town that can take care of what they call large animas they only do pets. I started asking questions and was told to clean the wound with iodine and apply scarlet oil, 5cc of penicillin every 24 hrs for 5 days and shot of tetanus every 14 days. I been fallowing all these instructions by the book for the past five days my goat is walking now but the wound to is way to big like 4” in diameter. I think it needs stitches for I can see what it apparently is the gutt or bag of the kid goats she’s carrying and I’m afraid she will loose the kids...
Can some tell what needs to be done it’s been five days and don’t see the wound healing...
Sleeve Wall Tints and shades Liver Plant

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Manuka honey is very good for wounds but a close eye on it due to attracting flies and such wpuld be needed. A friend used two layer gauze over the honey to help that but allowed to have ait still. I'm very sorry that happened.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
If you can’t stitch it (which, by the way, any vet can really do), my protocol would be this:

Mix some drops of lavender essential oil with tea tree essential oil with some boiled water (so it’s sterile), and spray on the area.

I would then pack the wound with yarrow and plantain leaf. Both should be able to be found in herbal tea section of most stores. Infuse with hot water to “bloom” them, but then strain the water out. Add some Manuka honey or raw organic honey, pack the moist herb paste in there. Would wrap it with gauze around the whole body. If you can’t get those herbs ASAP, start with the honey and wrap it.

But really, there are some dangerous areas exposed, especially if she is pregnant, and I wouldn’t hesitate to take her to a dog and cat or horse vet for simply the physical, topical treatment.

·
Registered
884 Posts
im sorry i have no idea but do you have any farmers near you? they may have experience?
when i was in wyoming ,alot of farmers, where i was, used underwood horse medicine and supposedly it works really well.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Manuka honey is very good for wounds but a close eye on it due to attracting flies and such wpuld be needed. A friend used two layer gauze over the honey to help that but allowed to have ait still. I'm very sorry that happened.
This 100%! If you happen to have any bee keepers around you just ask them for the raw dirty honey they might have. It’s not dirty as in dirt, it’s dirty as in a bit of comb in it. But usually they just toss that anyways.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Herbs and honey as suggested, I'd be adding internal antibiotics for dog bites. If you struggle finding that- plenty of garlic and Vit C. and B-complex injection. I'd try the honey dressing, then wrap a tea towel (flat weave, not terrycloth towel) over her back (similar to a saddle blanket) and secure the towel front and back with vet wrap to help keep it clean, with a fresh towel each day.

Don't use comfrey until she's more healed- it's so effective at promoting cellular growth that the surface can heal before the lower wounds, trapping/encouraging infection.

Good luck! I've brought animals back from the brink before-- sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Poor thing...she's lucky to have you. Keep posting updates, questions, and photos for more help as she progresses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts