Goat attacked by dog....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Feb 26, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Well, I wouldnt really say attacked......

Heres the story.

My bucks were trying to get out last night, and Jasper managed to get out, its kinda bad if they get out, the dogs patrol the area incase of an intruder.

Well Jasper saw the dogs and immediatly RAN the other way, My friends dog got scared and tried to herd him, he nipped at his feet, and made him fall down. Of course instinct for the dog kicked in and he started dragging him, biting his neck and legs, Luckily my friend came out and screamed at the dog before any damage can be done

No injuries, hes limping a little, but hes mentally scared to death, I think he may of been tramatized, today they are locked in a horse trailer, we are making a pen tomorrow. But his eyes are so wide, and he wouldnt talk to me, even move very much, he seems really scared still.

Anything I can do to help him? Can he die from being so scared?

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Do you have any Rescue Remedy? Its a calming agent.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

No, where can I get that at? It needs to be local, I dont want to wait for shipping. Anything I can get at tractor supply?

Im really worried, he was so scared :(

Maybe its just me worrying about everything though

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

You can get it at a health food store. Not sure if it would be local for you or not. Its not too cheap though.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Rescue remedy would be good if you can get some asap. Otherwise, it'd be good to have on hand.

I wouldn't mess with him for a few days (unless treatment is needed) that way he can just calm down, relax, and not associate people with the attack. Try not to change your routine with him to much though...just don't overhandle him.

He should be just fine. ;)

6. TinyHoovesRanch

OMG KYLEE.....

You seriously just let me breathe! lol

I was so crushed when I saw him today. I DONT blame the dog, it wasnt his fault, he was trying to do his job but took it a little to seriously.

Jaspers neck seems sore, he got dragged a little with his neck and legs, but no outside injuries, they are locked in a horse trailer, tomorrow we will figure out a pen.

Usually I go in with them, and play with them, love on both, even though they smell, they need love. Couragous, my other buck seems totally fine, Jasper just looks really spooked.

Should we just leave them in the trailer? Or move them to another pen?

My friend also said he will be ok in a few days, you know me though, Im the worry wart....

7. TinyHoovesRanch

FORGOT TO SAY

I cant get that remedy stuff tonight, or tomorrow until around noon, so it may not work....

8. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Even if you can't buy it for him now, its good stuff to have on hand. I have to give it to my house dog during storms, otherwise she goes into seizures. I've used it on goats that have needed tattooing and have used it on scared goats at shows. They calm down in about 20-30 minutes.

9. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok, im going to try and pick some up

My thoughts as to helping him would be, to give him some probiotic paste, some backing soda, and electolytes in his water, correct?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sorry to hear that happened. I had a goat attack my dog, and it was bad, the dog finlayy snapped and bit the goat in the face, it was a really bad cut.
    If you can get that rescue remedy I too would have it on hand, I always have about three bottles.

I would give him some Probiotic if you have any of that, it helps or Nutra Drench, that is great for stress.

11. TinyHoovesRanch

Luckily this time wasnt bad....

I have lots of paste, I think I have nutri drench, I can go pick some up though. He just seems pretty freaked out, I understand that! He needs to calm down though, hes scaring me!

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Aww...good. :hug:

I actually got to thinking and I remembered something similar happened to one of my bucks when he was younger... by a dog. The dog actually had him in her mouth and shook him by the neck. Luckily someone saw this happening and stopped it. The buckling, Buckeroo, was very scared and flighty after this happened and after a couple days he was totally fine again. Though, he doesn't like dogs to much now. :laugh: Poor thing.

And...it's ok to be overly concerned about your goats...I think most of us are....better to do to much than not enough. :hi5:

13. TinyHoovesRanch

Thats kind of what happened, he was mostly just dragged....

Im hoping he will be ok, hes very special!

Thanks for your help, I was a wreck, but now im ok :)

14. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Yikes! I hope he's all right! :hug: We have a husky mix that used to chase the goats when they were out.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry the goat was hurt... :( I agree with everyone and the nutradrench ect...to help calm him.... Also ...a little attention and love from you ...to get his mind off of it.... I would keep the dogs out of his site for a while.... but of course.. when he see's the dogs again.... he may freak out ...so be careful..... :hug:

Make sure... he has no puncture wounds at all ....feel around.... now that it has been a while.....you may be able to feel any wounds ....that may be there... that were missed........ if you do find some...make sure... it isn't festering.... if you find any ...clean it up....and flush the wound.... :hug:

16. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok, today hes going back in the pen, we are fixing it. He looked ok, no injuries, but he s fluffy so there could be something. No blood though.

Maybe he wont try to get out now? I just hope hes mentally ok, he seems so shocked....

I will be giving him everything I have, I want him better, he was barely eating yesterday, he didnt want to stop loking at the door, poor baby :(

17. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Thinking of your guy :hug: and good to hear you are doing better. Wow, in the moment and until you knew there were no serious injuries, how frightening.

18. TinyHoovesRanch

Im still so nervous and scared for him, hes one of my favorites, and seeing him yesterday just crushed me....

I will hopefully have good news when I see him later

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor guy....try not to feed grain ...while he is stressed..... :hug:

20. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok so no grain? Just his hay and then all the medicine stuff?

I havent given him grain since before it happened. I wanted to just leave him alone for a while, but it seems like he wants me there, so I will just sit with him for a while today and pet him, he always calms down when he sees me.