Goat Baby poops ??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AuntyEmsFarm, Jun 5, 2009.

1. AuntyEmsFarm

AuntyEmsFarm New Member

Jun 5, 2009
    I am new to all of this. I have never joined a forum before, but i figured it would be a good idea.

I have a question and I am hoping you guys can help. :)

My Nubian just had two kids on Tuesday :) . A little doe :girl: named Mary Jane and a :boy: buck named Otis. So far each has passed the black-tar-like poop and are peeing frequently. Both are eating very well, playing and running around and sleeping.

Mary Jane started pooping the yellow-mustard looking poop on Wednesday. But I have noticed that she is struggling a little bit to pass it and there has been a few red streaks in it. I took her temp and its 103.4 after that, she began to poop. So maybe that stimulated things.
    Is there something i can do to help her with that?

Also, the little buck Otis began pooping the yellow stuff yesterday afternoon and has yet to since. Should i worry? I took his tem as well and it was 103.5

I found instructions on how to give them and enema if i need to. Hopefully you guys have something else that would work. :help:

Thanks and have a great day!
    -Em :wave:
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, WELCOME :wave: to the goat spot and I will say you came to the right place.

Congratulations on the new babies. It sounds like they are doing fine. The yellow poop is normal, that is just milk poop. Now if they struggle to poop and you know they are NOT pooping then they might need a little help. Sometimes a warm wash cloth to the butt will help, sometimes just a little Vaseline or lube on the tip of the thermometer will also help.

Now mom's will lick the baby butts and eat the poop, (yep pretty nasty), but they do so that might be why you are not seeing any.

So it sound like you have some adorable new babies. Now as I am sure you have noticed, we LOVE pictures. How about sharing you babies with us? :shrug:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Howdy and welcome...Em......so happy you are here with us.......... :wave:

Congrats on the new babies..... :leap:

I agree with Lori .....yellow poo is very normal..... :wink: :greengrin:
    if you feel ...that they are ..really struggling to poo...then a enema .....is a good idea.... :wink: :hug:
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Normal, though mom's milk may be richer than normal causing the constipation...a smear of vaseline on the anus may help as Lori mentioned with the thermometer. The little boy would benefit from getting a temp on him as well as help get things going....WELCOME!
  5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Welcome to TGS! I know that unless I stand out in the barn for a couple of hours watching I'd never know when my new kids pooped as momma always was licking back there and 'taking care of things'.

The red streaks in it sounds a little weird but I don't have as much experience as the others on here with kids (this is my first year with kids being born). I'd suggest you keep a close eye on both of them and watch to see that they are bouncing around and not getting sluggish. Make sure you see them nursing also.

Good luck .... and, we DO need to see pictures!