The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone's thoughts on Manna Pro Goat Balancer? I hadn't ever really looked at the label (no, I don't want to feed it - just curious)...

20% protein.
4-5:1 calcium to phosphorous (surprising)

Dehydrated alfalfa meal, corn distiller’s dried grains with solubles, soybean meal, wheat middlings, feeding oatmeal, linseed meal, vegetable oil, cane molasses, dried whey, hominy feed, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, ammonium chloride, yeast culture, hydrolyzed yeast, diatomaceous earth, dried kelp, anise oil, yucca schidigera extract, potassium chloride, magnesium oxide, sulfur, ferrous sulfate, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, copper amino acid chelate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, zinc amino acid chelate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, thiamin mononitrate, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, biotin, ascorbic acid, active dry yeast, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation solubles, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation solubles, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation solubles, dried bacillus amyloliquefaciens fermentation solubles, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation solubles, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, propionic acid (a preservative).

Is this at all similar to how calf manna could act in a diet? Plus the vitamins and minerals.

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
750 Posts
Font Number Document Circle
Font Material property Parallel Document Screenshot

Found a guaranteed analysis of both Calf Manna and Goat Balancer. There is a difference. Calf Manna has more protein while Goat Balancer has more copper, zinc, selenium, etc. (like you said) Personally I’ve never used it, seems a little over rated to me IF you have a good mineral. Then again I can definitely seem some benefits of it over Calf Manna. (That being said it is pretty pricey)

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
750 Posts
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

Or mix 2 pounds with a 50 pound bag of normal grain

Reactions: K.B.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I guess I'm curious why you're curious.

I don't know much about it other than I've heard by word of mouth that it is unnecessary, but I don't know why. What's the suggested feeding rate?
I suppose it seems if you want to add more protein and correct a mineral deficiency to go with the goat balancer instead of calf mana calf manna I've heard is good at packing g on some muscle pounds... now I'm curious as well lol

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
386 Posts
I feed the balancer only because the only locally available goat mineral is the Purina goat minerals which aren't the greatest. The combination works okay, but it's not the best. If I want to double my mileage to the feed store, there are more options but this is what I go with for now. My goats immediately go downhill without both minerals and the Manna Pro balancer in terms of copper and selenium requirements.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I feed the balancer only because the only locally available goat mineral is the Purina goat minerals which aren't the greatest. The combination works okay, but it's not the best. If I want to double my mileage to the feed store, there are more options but this is what I go with for now. My goats immediately go downhill without both minerals and the Manna Pro balancer in terms of copper and selenium requirements.
Ah that's good to know... sounds like it would be a good add on for a weak animal! Or mineral deficient

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
That dosage just seems too low to me to make a difference. Now, I could be totally wrong, but that's just how I'm calling it. I'm maybe just suspicious because I've tried a lot of supplements out there and some did absolutely nothing.

I also prefer Replamin Gel for mineral imbalances. I think that even though the levels in the Replamin are questionable, it absolutely takes care of my mineral problems when they arise. The goat balancer seems expensive to me too. $15 dollars for 10lbs. That works out to 0.38 cents a dose whereas Replamin at $25 for 300ccs is 0.08 a dose and only needs to be given once a week, if that, unlike the goat balancer which should be given daily.

This is all just my opinion though, I'm not trying to shoot anyone down. Everyone should do what works for them and their wallet. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
32,151 Posts
You know I went through several large tubes of Replamin plus and never saw a difference in my goats. I stopped buying it. Even though we try to keep non gmo in the least here I do keep calf manna on hand. It does help when a goat needs extra or dropping weight. I have not tried Balancer but from word of mouth was suggested not to waste my money??

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I'm curious why you're curious. 😄

I don't know much about it other than I've heard by word of mouth that it is unnecessary, but I don't know why. What's the suggested feeding rate?
I am looking into high protein supplements that are balanced more unusually than most grain products. This and calf manna are more in favor of calcium than phosphorus. Calf manna is slightly higher protein, but not too much. I am not too concerned about the addition of minerals - I am really just looking at protein content and calcium: phosphorus ratio.

Part of what I do is help people form regimens for feeding that fits THEM. While I have good regimens for underweight goats, not everyone has those things available to them, and a lot of them include just teetering in the realm of balance when feeding high phosphorus and high calcium foods because these items are pretty much all we have. The problem is the quantity of those other things causing problems - if something like calf manna or balancer can be added in small quantities to a feed regimen which has other parts, I feel it could be beneficial to some, but I have never used it and I don't see many people using it so I am curious.

If they are similar, I would probably end up looking at calf manna as the supplement to be used when goats are on hard water or already a lot of calcium, and goat balancer to be used for the situation vice versa. This is due to the calcium: phosphorus ratios in them.

But yeah - I'd really love it if any of you have some underweight goats or goats needing a growth boost/boost and are considering trying this and reporting it back here on this thread. I'll do the same.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
I am looking into high protein supplements that are balanced more unusually than most grain products. This and calf manna are more in favor of calcium than phosphorus. Calf manna is slightly higher protein, but not too much. I am not too concerned about the addition of minerals - I am really just looking at protein content and calcium: phosphorus ratio.

Part of what I do is help people form regimens for feeding that fits THEM. While I have good regimens for underweight goats, not everyone has those things available to them, and a lot of them include just teetering in the realm of balance when feeding high phosphorus and high calcium foods because these items are pretty much all we have. The problem is the quantity of those other things causing problems - if something like calf manna or balancer can be added in small quantities to a feed regimen which has other parts, I feel it could be beneficial to some, but I have never used it and I don't see many people using it so I am curious.

If they are similar, I would probably end up looking at calf manna as the supplement to be used when goats are on hard water or already a lot of calcium, and goat balancer to be used for the situation vice versa. This is due to the calcium: phosphorus ratios in them.

But yeah - I'd really love it if any of you have some underweight goats or goats needing a growth boost/boost and are considering trying this and reporting it back here on this thread. I'll do the same.
Okay cool. That makes sense.

I think it is interesting that the goat balancer dosage is so much lower than the calf manna. Calf manna is 1/4-1/2lb. for a goat (Unspecified weight) and the Goat Balancer is 2oz. for 50lbs. and up. I wonder how well the goat balancer would affect weight gain with it being a smaller amount.

Maybe next spring when I like to give my girls a post kidding boost I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

I think it is interesting that the goat balancer dosage is so much lower than the calf manna. Calf manna is 1/4-1/2lb. for a goat (Unspecified weight) and the Goat Balancer is 2oz. for 50lbs. and up. I wonder how well the goat balancer would affect weight gain with it being a smaller amount.

Maybe next spring when I like to give my girls a post kidding boost I'll give it a shot.
Sounds like a decent product for a kidding boost was my thought as well... especially when their producing all that milk ... I've never had to use either, but like right now with Molly done kidding she's a little skinny than what I prefer for her (not bad though)! I might buy some this weekend when we go to town!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Since it wouldn't be alone in a mix, I would think of it as just a protein enhancement for each dose of the ration... which, in the long scheme of things, could make a difference.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts