The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help with doe in labor

So I have a pygora doe that appears to be in labor. She is very vocal, pawing a lot, getting up and laying down often, yawning, etc. She has also had long stringy mucus all day. This is her second time having kids, but the previous time did not take so long. Should I be concerned? She began to have mucus at around nine this morning so its been around ten hours. She doesn't seem overly uncomfortable and has been eating a little throughout the day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She has not been pushing at all.

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
If she is open, I would lube up and go in and check her. If she has multiples, it may be taking her longer to position the kids. I would keep a very close eye on her.

·
Fair-Haven
4,738 Posts
Make sure your nails are short, wash your hands - wear gloves if you have them, some people don't - lubricate. Insert two fingers at first - if she is relaxed your whole hand should fit easily. You are feeling for malpositioned kids - or maybe two presenting at the same time. If you are concerned, I would go ahead and call the vet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! It was a bit of a blur, but I adjusted the first kid and everything went fine. Both mom and the twins seem happy and healthy.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Great job! Congrats!!!!!!!

·
8,197 Posts
Congratulations! It's always scary when you do something new like "going in"! Most likely you saved at least one kids life, possibly both and maybe even the doe'!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks again everyone! I really appreciated the help :) I tried to attach some pictures but they are pretty low quality unfortunately. We had three other does kid yesterday so it was pretty overwhelming!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts