The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed that one of my older does (3-4 years old and my other older doe doesn't to this at all) will go to a younger doe, stick her tongue out and flap back and forth and emit this "cackle" sound and follow her and rub up against her (similar to what a buck does when courting the doe to get some LOL) Does anyone know what this behavior means? There is no mean behavior involved, no attacking or anything that I would be concerned about, it's just interesting behavior and I don't know what it means..

·
Registered
355 Posts
I believe this either means the older doe is in heat, the younger doe is in heat, or it is a sign of dominance.
I agree with all three of these as choices.
Regarding the dominance issue, it shows up when I have the heard queen out and the lower does will run around acting like bucks to the other does. If I don't return the head queen within a couple of hours they will then head-butt until a new queen is made.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok mine never had done any of this in the year+ I've had them. They all get along. This is the first time I've seen the one doe do this to the 1 year old. I've had them together for a year and never saw this behavior and they have all been in heat. That's why I was curious to the behavior. The only two that head butt are the two older girls just a couple times and they quit. Now my 1 year old will head but the 4 mo. old buck and does not like him at all, no way no how... I had to separate them. She literaly chased after him and would not leave him alone, I was worried for his safety.

Regarding the dominance issue, it shows up when I have the heard queen out and the lower does will run around acting like bucks to the other does. If I don't return the head queen within a couple of hours they will then head-butt until a new queen is made.

·
1,524 Posts
Mine do it every fall and then usually start about 2 weeks before they start kidding when their hormones are in an uproar. Perfectly normal behavior.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine do it every fall and then usually start about 2 weeks before they start kidding when their hormones are in an uproar. Perfectly normal behavior.
Mine too, it sucks when I keep a doe dry for a season because she'll do it every month until she is bred or summer starts :(

Sometimes mine will do it when I have a young buck in their pen but they want the big senior in the pen next door. It's almost like they are trying to entice him to come over with all the theatrics.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have noticed that one of my older does (3-4 years old and my other older doe doesn't to this at all) will go to a younger doe, stick her tongue out and flap back and forth and emit this "cackle" sound and follow her and rub up against her (similar to what a buck does when courting the doe to get some LOL) Does anyone know what this behavior means? There is no mean behavior involved, no attacking or anything that I would be concerned about, it's just interesting behavior and I don't know what it means..
Your older doe is displaying bucky behavior in response to the younger doe probably being in heat.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Obviously I can't speak for all goat owners, but in my herd this behaviour is not a sign of dominance. It simply means that the girls are cycling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts