Goat Birthing Problem

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pat, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Pat

Pat New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Hi,
    I need help/information. I did not see the goat for the first day after she gave birth to 2 cute kids and they are 2 weeks old now. The problem is with the mom. She is continuing to walk and stand like she is trying to expell something from inside her by squating and pushing. What should I do to help get rid of whatever is still inside. My husband said that when he first saw her after giving birth that he pull off some of the bag that was hanging off her. She is feeding the kids and eating like before.
    Thanks for any help.

Pat

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would get a temp on her. I would be worried that she retained a piece of the placenta.....

Maybe others might have another idea.

Is she eating and drinking and otherwise acting normal??

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you should never pull on the after birth.... :worried: :( ....when your DH ripped it from her like that...the attached piece will remain inside of her.. you see the weight from the afterbirth hanging there.... actually helps to get it out.... as she push's.....now after 2 weeks... I would contact a vet ....especially ...because she is still pushing....she may have an infection,because of some afterbirth still being inside...the vet will probably start her in antibiotics...ect :(
    Get a temp on her ...

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Dont take offence but the pulling of the afterbirth is a big no no.

She needs a vet ASAP to give her this certain drug to expel the afterbirth adn get her on antibiotics ASAP or you WILL loose her!

Welcome to TGS and I hope all goes well for your doe :hug:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!
    First off, get a temp on her...normal is between 101-103F, if she has any discharge at this point it should be bloody or rusty olored and would not have an odor to it. A high temp and foul smell would indicate a uterine infection....and since it's been 2 weeks since she delivered, would you know if she "cleaned out", expelled the afterbirth? Most times if there is anything left inside you would have seen a decline in her health by now, and as was mentioned, the aftrbirth should never be pulled on. A call to a vet would be in order as retaining even a small piece of placenta can and will kill a new mom if not treated ASAP

Get a temp first before any actions are taken.....do you notice her pushing at all when she is laying down? Is she making normal "berries" or is she constipated?

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to the goat spot. :wave: First of all congratulations on the babies.

It is normal to WANT to pull the after birth out but yes as everyone said leave it alone.

Last year I had a goat retain a little bit of the placenta, (I could see a bit of it hanging out and it never came out, MOM stepped on the placenta as it was hanging and she pulled it out). The Dr said I had to give her Oxeytocen (spelling is not at all right), that would contract the uterus and expell the last bit BUT it had to be started in 24 hours of less so the cervix is still open. Well mine was a little longer then the 24 hours. He started her on antibiotics and he reassured me that she would be fine.
    What happens to the part left inside is it will turn to liquid and she will drain it over time but the Antibiotics have to be started so she does not get a infection. I did what he said and she delivered babies a few days ago, so she was just fine like he told me she would be.

7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome to TGS!! :wave:

I really don't have much to add, everyone has really given some great advice. I would definitely get a vet out to take a look at her since it has been 2 weeks since she kidded. Please let us know how it goes! And again, welcome!

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Most everything has been said already. Wanted to add a couple of things:

1. Most likely the doe is suffering 'metritis' (infection of the uterus) due to retained placenta.

2. A tiny piece of placenta the size of your fingernail, if retained, can cause this.

3. Normally you will see obvious signs of illness in the animal, and a smell about them.

4. BUT, I have had them where they dont really get sick, and you cant smell it at all.

5. Best thing to do is to start her on a heavy course of antibiotics.

6. BUT, if you are not experienced with livestock in general and goats in particular, it is probably better to have her assessed by a vet, and follow his/her treatment advice.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Pat how is this doe doing? Please give us a update.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes...please let us know how she is doing.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    we are concerned.... :worried: :hug:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I hope you didnt feel that we were jumping down your throat. :(

I hope everything is alright and if you cant get her to a vet I suggest starting her on penicilian at a rate of 1cc per 20lbs twice a day for at least 5 days if not 7. Some feed stores carry the Pen and will sell you syringes and needles. Also Tractor Supply Company carries what you need.