Goat Bloat emergency

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by baabaamilker, Jun 16, 2008.

1. baabaamilker

baabaamilker New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Well I came home to a frenzy tonight. When my daughter finished chores we heard a strange sound from the buck pen. Went out and our buck was bellowing, then shortly thereafter crumpled to the ground and died. He obviously had bloat. Got to looking around and the greater number of the herd has it too, and I expect we'll be loosing the majority of them by morning.

We just picked up new hay yesterday and began feeding it to them last night. They all seemed fine this morning, but all look like they are at deaths door tonight.

Could this be worms? Or could this be the new hay. Any help would be appreciated.

Denise

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Wow, that's terrible :( , maybe it's something poisonous in the hay? I would definitely talk to the person who sold it you. Someone else here will know what to do.

3. baabaamilker

baabaamilker New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Well it looks like some of them are having a burping contest out there and they are looking a bit better already. I've got one suffering for breath right now though and I'm not sure he's going to make it.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    just make sure to keep them active, sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda) will help.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am sorry you lost the buck :(

What you need to do right now is get some baking soda and form it into balls (add a little water) and get plenty into each goat. Massage their bellies and help them to keep burping.

If you have any CD antitoxin I would give them some.

Burping is a good sign but you want them to keep it up so if they still look bloated and the burping has stopped give them the baking soda.

And yes do check the hay for poisnous plants and also check to make sure they didn't get into any grain.

6. baabaamilker

baabaamilker New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Well looks like all the rest survived. It all happened so fast. They were all fine before we gave them hay and then ten minutes afterward our buck was dead. I looked the hay over and it is not moldy. I've been giving them a homeopathic wormer since last night, wondering if that could be the problem. My does I wormed just Friday and they didn't seem to get bloat last night. Smelled like one might have been burping but they do that from time to time after eating anyway. They were not tight in the belly.

I just bought this hay and it's all I've got and I don't know about in your area but hay is getting hard to come by with the high diesel prices.

Frustrating experience.

Stacey I know they didn't get into any grain. I wouldn't be able to tell if the hay has poisonous plants in it as I'm not familar with what any in our area look like (we live in southern NM) . We get all alfalfa hay, not much else grows here.

Denise

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you suspect worms then check all your goats eyelids. If they have pale lids then you need to worm them. If they are bright pink then they are ok.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I hate to say it but I really do not think the hay would of done it that fast, but did you switch to that hay all of the sudden or did you also give some of the old stuff. Just in case I would also contact the seller if possible and just tell them about it and maybe they would know if they have something in the fields.

There are also places that you can send some hay samples to so it can be tested.

I would keep baking soda in the pens at all times, they will eat it when they need it.

Was your buck frothing at the mouth at all? I am so sorry about loss, but also do not think it would be due to worms, for them to do that fast.

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That was a horrible crisis- I'm so sorry you lost your buck.
    There are things that could cause a serious problems that could be bailed into the hay- if everything else was the same, then the hay is where I would look.
    If it is alfalfa, there could be blister beetles in it. Look for narrow, long dried striped beetles. There can be noxious weeds in all hays- even leaves and things like that.
    Can you take some of the hay to you local ag agent? They may be able to check it for you. I would also ask the person who sold you the hay for more information on when and how it was baled.
    Thank goodness you were able to help the rest.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Gorging on alfafa hay can cause bloat if they are not use to alfafa. What was your other hay? was it alfafa too?

I had a problem with my hay once. My doe started to throw up and I was treating her, she started to get better so I put hay in the feeder and she started to throw up again. This went on for a week and I wasnt sure WHAT was wrong with her. Well I finally got smart :idea: and threw out the bale and she recovered. Now the weird thing was my other doe never threw up but she too was eating the same bale. So each goat will respond to differently. But it was only that bale.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I am sorry, I was not thinking about Bloat from the hay, and that is what I meant about it not being the hay. Sure it could be the hay that is causing the bloat. :scratch: :doh: Sorry I was not thinking clearly.

12. baabaamilker

baabaamilker New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    They have been on alfalfa for their entire lives. I've inspected the hay to the best of my ability and it looks fine. We gave them some of the same hay this morning, but then I had to leave. When I got home several hour later they seemed to be fine, maybe slightly bloated if any. I hadn't changed anything else about their routine or their diet.

My buck's bloat was so bad that shortly after death his entire body blew up like a balloon. I hope whatever it was doesn't revisit us.

Denise

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    blowing up like a baloon happends when they die even if they don't have bloat. It is all the gasses in their body that develope after death. That is normal