Goat Bloat??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tradershez, Oct 18, 2011.

1. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi everyone :)

The local rural animals officer came around to see our goats the other day. One of the does that is in our pen, is our neighbours'.

This goat gave birth about 6 weeks ago. We were sure she was going to have at least quads (as she looked WAY bigger then the previous year when she had triplets). Shock to us...only twins!

Fast 4ward 6 weeks and she is still looking like she is 5 month pregnant.

We have not really given this much thought, except now the local rural animal's officer reckons it could be bloat and wants to come around and stab her stomach!!!!

She has looked this way for a while...

- if it bloat, how long would she realistically have had this...wouldn't she have died by now?
    - I am sooo not keen on this guy stabbing her stomach, I really don't think he knows what he is doing, let alone do a risky thing like that...What should we do? (Hide her LOL)
    - as most of you know, we live in a small island in south pacific, with no access to normal vet stuff for goats...but is there anything that we can use to help her?

Thanks heaps
    Sherid

2. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Baking soda will releive bloat pretty well; I'd offer her some of that free choice.
    It's likely that she's just gained a bit of weight while pregnant and it hasn't come off yet. If there was still something inside, I think by now it would be apparent.

Has she kidded with you before? Has she been overweight before..?
    I guess if you think everything is ok, I'd tell the officer that you've got it under control. Bloat doesn't maintain at such a steady rate this long.

Be sure to leave out baking soda nonetheless.. Somewhere it won't get wet/soiled.

3. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks Merle,

The doe has kidded about 4-5 times before. The last 3 kiddings she has always slimmed down normally.

She still looks like she is about to give birth. If I was crazy I would swear she still has about 2 babies stuck in her. That's how "big" she looks.

She is still walking around ok, but looks heavy and walks accordingly to a heavily pregnancy goat would walk.

We have baking soda, do I mix up a bit or just feed it to her dry by hand?

I gave her some salt the other day (unrelated to this) and she went crazy for it! Now she is always trying to lick my hands so giving her the baking soda may work...

Thanks heaps!!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Having kidded numerous times before she has "Sprung belly ligaments" and the belly will look different than a doe who has kidded once or twice....this is not bloat as goathiker said, if it was it would not have lasted this long without treatment. Put the baking soda out dry in a pail and where they can access it without it getting wet.

5. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Has she been wormed lately? If not then worms could be the cause of the extended belly (worth a check).....if she has did she get probios after? I have one that after worming MUST have probios...her rumen doesn't completely shut down but is slows down due to lack of "good bacteria" after worming and she will carry a large rumen for a while.

I don't think I'd let some stranger "stab" my goat...is he a vet? If not then I'm not sure he should even be offering such service...suggesting the goat has bloat is one thing. Usually the stabbing method is only used if it is life-threatening, it's a temp fix for trapped air will not solve the issue causing the bloat.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others...and she doesn't need stabbing....like mentioned she would of been dead by now if that was the case.....she would be very uncomfortable... with belly extended way out and above the ribs.... left side..

If your goat does get really bad bloat ..instead of stabbing her try this.....
    use gas X for humans.. they look like tums....I fed my buck 2 of them ..... I also shot him up with Vit B complex and gave him probiotics.... I walked him and elevated his front end about 12 inches off the ground ...then massaged his rumen( left side).. ...his belly shrunk really quick and he never had a problem since....depending on the severity ...of bloat...you can give 1 or 2 gas X... :hug:

7. No don't let him stab her! That is kinda what you do if the bloat is really bad and the goat is dying. Bloat does not last like this it is a much quicker thing; less then 48 hours usually.

Offer her the baking soda; if she wont eat it on her own then mix some with a few drops of water and make a few little balls out of it and put them at the back of her mouth and hold her mouth shut till she swallows. Probiotics or yogurt won't hurt or Vit B if her rumen is slow.

Most likely she is just a little less girly then before these kiddings. I have a doe that loos so pregnant all the time and its just cause her muscles are shot from prior kidding.

If she had retained any kids in her belly it would be apparent by now as she would be running a very high temp and act sick if not already be dead.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    agree with everything already said.

I had a doe with bloat and she was very uncomfortable, stopped eating and drinking and was off to herself (this is the herd queen) she was getting worse each hour.

Sounds like "sprung" belly and this just happens with some goats.

NEVER let anyone who isnt a vet stab the belly unless a goat is in obvious distress and foaming at the mouth. The stabbing should be for frothy bloat when all else fails.

9. I agree, this is not likely bloat. The animal officer is out of line. A trocar to relieve the gas is inserted usually as a last resort if death from bloat is imminent and all else has failed.

10. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Thank you everyone :clap:

I am so pleased that my gut feeling is what you are all saying. I was REALLY not happy with the idea of this guy stabbing her. When he was here last week, he injected her with worming stuff, so I will try all the rest of the advice.

You guys all rock!

Thanks heaps
    Sherid