The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! We recently “rescued” two baby goats. Our male is always really fat at the end of the day, but does not seem uncomfortable at all. They are off of milk and are strictly just grazing and get a little bit of grain. I do give them Bermuda hay, but they aren’t too interested in that. Our female does not get this large. Is this normal? I will post a picture

Light Black Tire Wheel Tread

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
How old is he? Looking at his horns he doesn’t look that old. His rumen may not be working like it should if he is too young which is why milk is so important for young kids.
If he doesn’t take the bottle, or he is older and doesn’t need bottles then I would maybe sure to limit his time browsing. How much grain is he getting?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked what kinds of plants are in your pasture?
I’ve got some goats that come in at night looking like they’re bred up 😅
But that looks very uncomfortable.. does he act like he’s not feeling well when he comes in?
I haven’t figured out what type of weeds they are, but larger leafy weeds. They also eat pine needles off our pine trees. He doesn’t seem to be uncomfortable at all and his stools are normal. We have just all been alarmed by his size😅

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is he? Looking at his horns he doesn’t look that old. His rumen may not be working like it should if he is too young which is why milk is so important for young kids.
If he doesn’t take the bottle, or he is older and doesn’t need bottles then I would maybe sure to limit his time browsing. How much grain is he getting?
He was born in May, but he was a runt so he is very little. We had him on milk until the end of July and weaned him off. I offer them about two cups of grain a day (which goes unfinished) and a couple handfuls of hay. Our female loves the grain, but he only takes a couple bites and goes straight to grazing. Apparently he doesn’t like my grain selection😂 How would I know if his rumen is working properly? His belly also did this while on milk

·
Administrator
93,578 Posts
You may want a vet to check him.

I have never seen a kid with a belly that big in all the years I have been in goats.
Especially if he doesn’t eat much.

What kind of grain are feeding?

Is it solid like a drum or soft on the left side?

Can you hear rumen sounds and feel movement on the left side? Stethoscope or put your ear up to his belly, left side. Feel for movement.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
I agree I don’t think a vet visit would hurt. At the very least even a fecal done, that includes cocci. Here is something I got on a fast search:

A lot of people new to goats think a kid is “fat” when it has a big belly. However, a big belly — sometimes called “hay belly” — is a sign of malnutrition, either from a parasite overload or not getting enough milk. And not enough milk leads to parasite problems because the kids are not getting enough of mom’s antibodies to fight them. Malnourished kids get a big belly because they are eating as much solid food as they can stuff into themselves, but it doesn’t have the nutrients they need for growth. If they have a parasite overload, they are overeating because, depending upon which type of parasite it is, the parasites are either sucking their blood or consuming the food in their digestive system, either of which leaves the kid malnourished and possibly anemic

Small growing kids need a LOT of protein, so even if he is eating good hay it might not be enough for him especially if he has parasites.
But yes listen to his stomach. You want to hear nice loud rumbling going on in there. I think it’s within every 30 seconds you want to hear it if not more often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may want a vet to check him.

I have never seen a kid with a belly that big in all the years I have been in goats.
Especially if he doesn’t eat much.

What kind of grain are feeding?

Is it solid like a drum or soft on the left side?

Can you hear rumen sounds and feel movement on the left side? Stethoscope or put your ear up to his belly, left side. Feel for movement.
I will schedule him an appointment just to be safe. The lady we got them from recommended Purina grower for goats so that’s what we have been giving them. His belly is soft on both sides and he does re-chew (cud chewing I think it’s called?) I will check for rumen sounds today!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree I don’t think a vet visit would hurt. At the very least even a fecal done, that includes cocci. Here is something I got on a fast search:

A lot of people new to goats think a kid is “fat” when it has a big belly. However, a big belly — sometimes called “hay belly” — is a sign of malnutrition, either from a parasite overload or not getting enough milk. And not enough milk leads to parasite problems because the kids are not getting enough of mom’s antibodies to fight them. Malnourished kids get a big belly because they are eating as much solid food as they can stuff into themselves, but it doesn’t have the nutrients they need for growth. If they have a parasite overload, they are overeating because, depending upon which type of parasite it is, the parasites are either sucking their blood or consuming the food in their digestive system, either of which leaves the kid malnourished and possibly anemic

Small growing kids need a LOT of protein, so even if he is eating good hay it might not be enough for him especially if he has parasites.
But yes listen to his stomach. You want to hear nice loud rumbling going on in there. I think it’s within every 30 seconds you want to hear it if not more often.
I read this as well! We actually have him on lice treatment. They had the lice when we picked them up. I’m wondering if that has anything to do with him over eating like the article says. He has two more treatments within the next couple weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts