goat bloating!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lacy_94, Dec 13, 2007.

1. lacy_94

lacy_94 Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    ok... My kiko cross wether has bloated. I think he ate to much green leaves from the pature or something,My mom works at a vet office so we rushed him in on the way he made to handfuls of poo.
    we got there and he had bad diahrea, , once the vet seen us he tubed the goat, and gave him therabloat.And on the way home he had more diarea. Its been 3 hours and the goat is still bloated.
    I gave the goat 15cc of pepto and onther dose of some other boat medicine.
    we walk/ massaged the goat for 15 mins. i held his mouth open while mom massaged his tummy, so he burped alot then.the goat still looks pretty big. i dont have any backing soda.
    please let me know if im doing this right thanks, tayler.

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    sounds like you're doing well- without bloat med or baking soda. the only thing I can think to do is to walk him around gently so maybe the motion with encourage things to move. I was told once that you could put a dtring in a goats mouth just like a bit on a horse- then the goat will chew at the string and also encourage burping. I have never tried it but the person who told me this has a l;ot of experience. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

3. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Just keep doing what you are doing...

Good luck with him, and I hope he feels better soon!!!

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

keep massaging and don;t let him lay down. Keep him moving.
    Any word yet???
    beth

5. strothergoats

strothergoats Guest

Nov 22, 2007
    do you have any C&D Antitoxin? Give this.

6. lacy_94

lacy_94 Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    yes i have him on C&D Antitoxin,
    ok he is still really big this morning. we gave him a dose of therobloat this morning, but its 8:00 pm, and hes still big.
    how long should this last im getting worried he hasent eaten, but has drank some water.
    we just gave him, milkand mahnesia, about 15 cc of it. i found on other websites the , pepto, and magnesium get ther bowsels moving or somin.
    im scared he will be dead in the morning or tommarow if he doent lost any more gas.
    we are taking him back to the vet in the morning , if hes still in this condition. we also have iodine and a big needle on hand if he goes down to let the ari out of his stomach if he goes down. He doesnt really move much and is in like a days.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I hope he's going to be ok- sounds like you have done everything needed. I did once try peptobismol on a kid- but since I used therabloat too at the same time I really can't say which was the one that worked- but she "deflated" like a leaky balloon in 20 minutes so I don't think it was as severe as your boy.
    Please let us know how he's doing.

8. lacy_94

lacy_94 Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    hes alive this morning from what i can see from my window im gonna trow some cloths on and walk to the pen,

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you have milk of magnesia? If you don't get some. Mix 1 tbsp of that with 1 tbsp of olive oil and drench him with that 3-5 times a day. The MOM and olive oil combined acts as a buffer for the rumen and has a longer lasting affect than baking soda. It will also help to relieve and prevent acidity from from forming in the rumen.

If he is excessively bloated to the point where the abdomen is actually 'bubbled' up really big, where it is higher than the spine, if your vet knows how, you can take a thick needle, usually 12 or 14 guage, and poke a hole in the part of the rumen that you know is gassy. This will release the pressure. If you do that(and I only recommend doing it if they are severely bloated) you will see greenish stuff come out of the hole which is just part of the gasses escaping.

Good luck. :)

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  11. lacy_94

lacy_94 Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    hes doing much better i got backing soda in him and he's almost completly defrlated,

GOATHAPPY. we gave him milk and magniea last nogh then i walked him about 20 mins,

i think he is going to make it, hes perky and drimnking. we dint have to tak him to the vet either.
    he isnt out the wood yet but i will keep a close eye on him for now on...

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well thats great to hear.

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Sounds like he is doing alot better.

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That's good to hear :)

15. lacy_94

lacy_94 Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    Thanks, everyboty that replied to my post,
    the goat is perfectly fine now. Its been cold latly and the first few days of him recovering, I had him wrapped in a blanket because he was week and shivering.
    I gave him probios to get his stomach regulated.
    For now on everytime I mix the goats food,I add backing soda
    in it to prevent bloat in the future.
    once again thanks, tayler.

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Good for you- thanks for letting us know.

17. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Yay!!!! What a fighter you've got there!!! :stars:

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Great! I am so glad to hear he is doing well!

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awesome! glad to hear the good news