Goat Boarding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PACE, Jan 16, 2010.

1. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Hello everyone!! I have not been on here in ages, and miss hearing about all the goaty-goings on!!! For those that don't know me, my name is Emily, and I have two wethers, a Nigerian Dwarf and an Alpine, and they are my babies I'm a high school senior and have just finished applying to college, so hopefully next year I'll be going away to who knows where. My boys, who I love to bits and pieces, are a fair amount of work, as is any goat, and I want to ensure they receive the best care possible while I'm away, since I doubt most college dorms allow pets, let alone livestock I don't know where I'm going yet, so things are up in the air in that respect. I am not going to sell them, and my family would prefer not to have them at home, but have been kind enough to offer to care for them if nothing else works out. I'm curious about boarding. I have heard of several people who board, but I don't know much about it, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice on the matter. Firstly, how many people actually offer boarding, particularly for goats? What is a reasonable estimated charge, per month? Once I know where I'm going, I'm hoping to find a place fairly nearby so I can visit, but won't be able to go every day, so I'll need someone to feed and water them, etc. I don't know anything about this, so want to know what I should watch out for and be wary of. Is it even reasonable to expect to find a reliable place to board two wethers? I'm trying to be on top of things and start researching early so I'll have everything in order by late summer, when I'll be off. I really love my goats, and their health and happiness is my first priority, so if anyone thinks of reasons not to board, or things I should look out for, please let me know! I'll try to get some photos to post soon, as it has been a while since people have seen my fluffy troublemakers

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

:wave: HI EMILY!
    my name is laura and I raise Nigerian Dwarf goats, I have only been doing it for 3 years but all 3 years I have boarded my animals! I think its a good idea to board, because then you get to have animals even if you dont know whre to keep them. The people offer a home and protection for a small price a month. The only bad thing is you never know what happens when your not around. You need you need to be able to trust the people you are leaving you animals with. I found a great boarder who lets me have as many goats as I want, which is good because I keep getting more and more, and I had my first goat birth last year, all the babies were great and never got stolen or hurt. The only bad thing that has happened is 2 years ago someone fed my Alpaca something he couldnt swallow and he got it stuck in his throat, we tried to save him, and he ended up dieing :(
    Also last november one of our goats was stolen,and we still dont know the tuth behind it.

So if you want to board your goats somewhere make sure its a good place and has a good reputation

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can see about a place that has horses maybe they will allow you to board? That or some farms in the area of your school.

Its great that you want to bring them near you- I hope it works out