Goat Bonanza - Bitter Sweet

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Mar 17, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Well, I am not sure if most of you know or not, but due to a change in circumstances, I have decided to cut my herd dramatically and revamp what I am doing to fir more easily into what I want.

Anyway, I listed 4 animals of 20-some for sale. I sold one of them pretty quickly, and had many inquire about my other stock.

So this past weekend has been alot of a blur for me and honestly bitter sweet.

I had a lady that bought the first goat for sale, Daisie Mae and my little hemi (who was sold instantly and never advertised.) We will call this buyer - Buyer A. Came home Friday night and found Daisie Mae dead. Didn't want to tell Buyer A till after the weekend as to not spoil her weekend.

Then I had a lady drive up over 2 hours to come to the house to look at one I had advertised, Trisha, and ended up taking Trisha and my pregnant Sanaan/Boer, Boots. That was unexpected. This is Buyer B They did not leave until 10ish at night.

Then, on Sunday, I had a scheduled appt for a lady to come up and look at my animals and ask questions. Buyer C. She was a hoot and fell in love with the goats.

Now mind you there is only 3 goats I absolutely did not want to sell. I got an email first thing yesterday Buyer C. She wants to purchase Blanca (BE bred to Abba) and Blingz (one of the 3 that I didn't want to sell)

Needless to say, this is where we are at so far -

Daisie Mae's owner is considering Jewelz (pregnant by Blue) or Twilight (open)

Buyer B took 2 - trisha and boots(bred to boer)

Buyer C bought Blingz and Blanca - however Blanca will not be leaving until after she kids, and I get to keep all of the kids!!!

So my herd went down by 6 soon to be 7 animals just over this past weekend. It all seems so sureal....... My barn feels so darn empty :(

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Awe Allison :hug: I had the same thing happen last year -- but then I bought back up slowly :shades: :thumbup: And that time i bought what I really wanted. Now honestly I dont feel as connected yet with these new girls but I am getting there.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    This puts me from the end of fall with:

15 does to be bred
    3 bucks
    3 wethers
    4 ewes
    2 rams

Down to (after this weekend)
    11 does (1 will be leaving after kidding)
    3 bucks
    3 wethers (1 going to freezer camp)
    4 ewes (3 confirmed pregnant with 2 lambs already sold)
    2 rams

It doesn't seem like much of a drop - but it really is - with up to 2-3 more does leaving - just waiting for the email confirmation.

I guess it is starting to get to me...... yet then in the back of my head, I know where there are 2 more right now, that I should seriously buy, breed, and resale - but I am leaving on vacation soon........ but I could make some money off of them

Then I am boarding a lady's goat for a few months and "training" him to be nice....darn bottle baby.....

Ok - now I am rambling - guess this is how I am figuring things in my head

sorry -

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It all sounds so confusing!

I'm sure your barn does feel empty, but just think of the kids that are coming.....and I'm really looking forward to seeing Blanca's kids...hopefully she gives you a BE doeling that looks just like her!

That was awesome selling so many so fast! :thumb:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Nothing to be sorry about - I am always doing it to you! and to my friends. I send them emails or pms with my ramblings and it really helps me just to write it down for others to see and I feel better about my decisions.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I know yesterday Liz and Brandi were about to kill me (thanks guys) as the lady that bought Blanca wanted to take her home now and I had to do a lot of soul searching and come to grips with myself that I will not do something just to make others happy.

I stood by what I wanted and it all worked out..... so I will probobly have lots of bottle babies this summer - like 3-5 as she has given trips, quads, and quints before - :hair:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I had to downsize last year...it is so hard to let them go...I know exactly how you feel........it's alot cheaper on the feed bill ...but you still miss them..... :hug: :(

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I feel for you. I am thinking of selling one or more of my horses, sniff. Plus my very first kids will have to have new homes soon. It is hard. You have to be ready to do it, if not is just makes it that much harder. I let two of my mini go a few years back and I still wonder if I did the right thing.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do understand your feelings. I started to advertise my babies and all of the sudden they went to the website and wanted more that I did not plan on selling. I did go ahead and sell them because I figured if the lord brought them to me and they wanted a goat then that is what I could do, it is a little or should I say very hard, but I figured I better do it. Out of 12 babies I only have two left to sell, and I sold 5 adult goats. Several have gone to their new homes but in the next two weeks I will be losing a big chunk of my herd :tears: . That is a bitter sweet thing also. It is going to be so hard to get hay this year, plus my daughter will be leaving for college and it will be best to reduce the herd.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Well, here is a bit of an update - and I will make it easier to understand when I get back to my desktop and can type it all out - I am at a cafe and it is a pain.

I just sold Jewelz - and I think that she is going to be leaving with her kids, unregistered, with it in the contract that I get to rebreed her next year to the buck of my choice and I get a kid pick back for the registration papers.

AND (drum roll please) my DH okayed me to purcahse 2 more reg nigi does (trinity, dobie, jewelz, and blingz dams) dirt cheep, to breed and then list for sale. I can't keep these girls on the property once they are bred!!! (edit: meaning that once they are bred - people are instantly asking how much I want for them bred!) So since they are SOOOOOOO cheep he said to do it!

So will update more in a bit.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So here is where I was in the fall 2008 -

Does -
    Dora - bred
    Trisha - bred
    Boots - bred
    Lola - bred
    Ginger - bred
    Snow - bred
    Joy - bred
    Blanca - bred
    Blingz
    Jewelz - bred
    Dobie - bred
    Trinity - bred
    Sherbert - bred
    Twilight
    Daisie Mae - bred
    Fire
    --------
    Total - 16 does

Bucks -
    Joe Dirt
    Lil Man
    Turner
    --------
    Total - 2 bucks

Sheep -
    little ewe - possibly pregnant
    grammy ewe - pregnant
    crooked tail ewe - pregnant
    straight tail ewe - pregnant
    Gotham - young ram
    Ram
    --------
    6 sheep

Spring 2009

Does -
    Dora - Alpine X kidded :girl: :boy: :boy: (both boys deceased)
    Trisha - reg NOA nubie resorbed :( - sold
    Boots - sanaan/boer - bred
    Lola - boer/saanan - bred
    Ginger - reg nigi - bred
    Snow - reg nigi - kidded :boy: (sold)
    Joy - reg nigi bred - deceased
    Blanca - reg nigi - bred - sold (will be retaining kids)
    Blingz - reg nigi - sold
    Jewelz - reg nigi - bred - sold with kids
    Dobie - reg nigi - bred
    Trinity - reg nigi - bred
    Sherbert - nigi - bred
    Twilight - nigi
    Daisie Mae - pygmy - bred - deceased
    Fire - NOA reg nubie
    Sandy - reg nubie-possibly bred
    Grace - reg Nigi - to be bred (going to purchase)
    Fancy - reg Nigi - to be bred (going to purchase)
    --------
    Total in herd - 15 does and kids

Bucks -
    Joe Dirt - reg nigideceased
    Lil Man - boerwethered and freezer camp
    Turner - reg nigi deceased
    Blue - reg nigi
    Abba - reg nigi
    Bucky - reg nubie
    --------
    Total in herd- 3 bucks

Sheep -
    little ewe - possibly pregnant
    grammy ewe - lambed :boy:
    crooked tail ewe - pregnant
    straight tail ewe - pregnant
    Gotham - young ram
    Ram
    --------
    Total in herd 7 sheep

I don't see where I have made a dent in my herd :shrug: :shrug: :ROFL: :shocked: :ROFL:

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I guess I don't understand buying 2 does, then breeding them just to sell them. I know there must be a method to your madness, but it sure does escape me.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Around here, there is a huge push for "self sufficiency" - meaning goats for milk or meat, chickens for eggs or meat, rabbits for meat and so on.

And since most people don't own a buck (where I have 3) it is easier for a person to purchase an animal already bred or in milk then to have to go through it all themselves.

Now the kids, I like to have the kids, as I am wanting to start to show here soon - but unless I pay top dollar and have a kid or adult sent in - I have to breed for what I am looking for.

Most of the ones that I sold, were not even for sale, but as DH says, everything has its price, and if a person is willing to pay that price then it was ment to be. Only 1 of the animals that says sold next to it, was actually for sale. All the others were priced so darn high, that I never would have thought that they would have sold - which means it was not high enough - but is all I can say, is it was ment to be for me.

There are certain ones that I am more connected to then others and wont sell, or are my family milkers. Now, I have told people who have contacted me about animals, plain out "no" because their was something weird. I must feel comfortable with a person to sell to them. But, as in a case of a few of them, they must stay with me until kidding and then they can leave, as that is what is in the best interest of the animal.

I guess I need to clarify the statement of "not being able to keep them on the property". (I will go back to the post and edit it in a sec and put it in a different color.) What I ment was that as soon as I breed them, people are trying to purchase them immediately.... not that I want to sell them all, but are asking me what I would sell them for.... there is just such a large market for milk does, and people are liking the new buck I brough in.

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I understand now. In your situation I believe I would be doing the same thing. Hmmmm I have a buckling that has top names in his pedigree, maybe I should buy a doe and do the same thing.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats cool Allison! Congrats on all the sales. So far no one wants registered around here but all want pets. :hair:

16. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Oh Allison... you weren't driving us crazy... (until you starting getting confusing :ROFL: ) No, seriously, you know we are here for you whenever you need us :hug: . I think that you have handled yourself very well these last couple of weeks! You didn't budge on what you wanted done with Blanca, and I think you made the right decision with all of them :thumbup: And now you get to get those two Does you have been wanting :leap: So it all works out in the end! :leap: And maybe Blanca will give you plenty of kids to retain :wink: