Goat breeding Newbie Q

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by QotL, Oct 26, 2008.

1. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    Will a goat who is not in 'standing heat' still let a buck mount her?

I did a dumbo today with a doe I didn't want bred. Just brought home the boy yesterday. What are the chances I somehow hit the window EXACTLY for this particular doe? :hair: They were only together for about 1 minute, and I pulled her away as soon as I turned around and saw it.. she had some white discharge :GAAH:

2. Candy

Candy New Member

If she allowed it to happen, then she was in heat. Did she 'hump' after. If there is the possibility, the vet could do a blood test to see for sure and give her something to abort. I'm not sure you have to wait for the blood work to give an accurate result. :shrug:
    Candy :sun:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she allowed him to mount her, and you saw discharge I'd say he hit the mark. As Candy said though you can have a blood test done or just wait and see if she shows you signs of heat in the next days/weeks, unless she's a doe that is "quiet" about it, I hope you get the outcome you want.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    In our experiences a doe has only settled when she "hunched" after the breeding. . . . that's just what we have noted. A blood test will confirm for sure. If the vet does the same testing that I am thinking of, then it will need to be done 28 days after you think she was bred.

5. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    I didn't see her hunch, but I was really in the wrong position, and took off at a run as soon as I realized what had happened.

It's the weirdest thing. She hasn't shown any interest in him AT ALL. Has completely ignored him, other than a nose sniff. He's been flirting with her like crazy through the fence, but she either lowers her head toward him, or just moseys on her way like he's not even there.

I had checked her just before the 'incident' and she didn't have any signs of heat, although to be honest, the only thing on her I've noted in the past was a little discharge which I'm assuming is her big sign. And there wasn't any today until the white goop afterward.

If I was more concerned, the blood test is a great idea. It's not really a catastrophe if she is bred, just not what I had wanted for her (she is my retired companion doe lol). I'll just wait her out, I guess. It's all just very bizaare timing. Like I said, we just picked up the buck yesterday, and he hadn't even been here 24hrs yet when this happened. He's very young, and not very bucky, so I'm doubting he could bring her into heat that fast but hey, what the heck do I know :)

Meghan

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    No - bizzarre is when you see your huge sheep ram mounting your Boer Doe and she LET him!!! Aggghhhhh :hair: