The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
We have only had one goat many years ago end up with c section. ( huge entagled triplets) Cost us $75 . Mom recovered well and went in to breed just fine.
As mentioned..cost can vary and my goats c section was about 15 years ago..so im sure alot more moola now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have only had one goat many years ago end up with c section. ( huge entagled triplets) Cost us $75 . Mom recovered well and went in to breed just fine.
As mentioned..cost can vary and my goats c section was about 15 years ago..so im sure alot more moola now.
Wow good to hear! Did the kid make it?

Super Moderator
11 years ago it cost me $400. But 2 years ago I couldn鈥檛 get a kid out (she had a retained placenta that just didn鈥檛 make sense to me in there) and just to knock the goat out and pull the kid out, retained placenta and all, cost me $400 so I hate to see what a c section would be now

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
11 years ago it cost me $400. But 2 years ago I couldn鈥檛 get a kid out (she had a retained placenta that just didn鈥檛 make sense to me in there) and just to knock the goat out and pull the kid out, retained placenta and all, cost me $400 so I hate to see what a c section would be now
Yeah I had a feeling it鈥檇 be more then $500, just waiting on them to call me back Monday. Did the kid make it when y鈥檃ll had to pull it out?

Super Moderator
Yes she did! And on the c section the doe had torn her uterus and I lost her but they saved the kid, which was shocking because he was delivered at least 12 hours after she went into labor. I don鈥檛 have many vets here that are willing to work with goats and the one that is puts me on the back burner :/

Super Moderator
Wow good to hear! Did the kid make it?
Sadly No. The vet came out and worked on getting them out for some time. By the time a c section was suggested all three babies were already dead.
One thing I learned that day was to trust my gut. I was pretty new to goats but when mom was in labor...I knew something was wrong. Called the vet and was told not to panic....give her time. After labor stalled and no babies I finally convinced the vet to come out. Was too late. 鈽

Reactions: Jessica84

Registered
I've had 3 c-sections done on 3 different goats. Two of those were standing with local anesthetic. One was completely under. All does and kids made it. Each c-section cost $800. All those does went on to kid just fine the next year.

Registered
It's been so long ago but I think the one doe I had a c section on (the only boer in my herd out of all the Nubians) was just at or under $500 at the vet school. It was more before I pointed out I supplied the colostrum and could of taken the kids home so they knocked of the board and colostrum fee for the kids. No one was stuck but she had pregnancy toxemia and she was at risk, so they kept her under observation while starring treatment and when she started to go down they went ahead and did the c section. Both kids made it and so did mom. It was well worth the money back then and ended up being her only kidding.

It was all in the vet school and not on site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts