Goat cams

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CrossCreekTX, Dec 16, 2009.

1. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Anybody use a security camera to keep an eye on the goats?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Rainbow Meadows Farm has a live camera in their barn on their kidding stall- but I cant get it to work right on my computer (stupid thing....)

They are on this forum and you can find their website with a link to their cam...

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do too...it's not a web cam but a wireless security cam, I used it a few months back for the first time when I had a few sick girls...I can't wait to use it in February when my girls start my kidding season.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do I do.

I love my camera. It is so much nicer then having to get up every few hours, get dressed and go outside, check everyone, then go back to bed.

Now I roll over look at the TV monitor that I have it hooked to and look everyone over, then I roll over and go back to sleep.

I can turn the TV up so the sounds works also but it is so hard to sleep when you hear 14 goats chewing their cud, and talking to each other. I keep telling them that I am watching them and I would appreciate it if they would be quite and go to sleep, but they will NOT listen to me.

I am getting my camera hooked up this weekend because I have babies on the way in a few weeks.

5. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I'm trying to figure out the best kind to get. Limited budget doesn't help, of course.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I got an $80 from Walmart. works really well! It shows in color and has 2 cameras and 2 channels. Butthis summer looks as if both of the cords were chewed...not by goats, maybe a mouse or something So I really need to replace the cords to the cameras!! :hair:

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have a wireless one with sound, color and night vision. I really love it and just turn on the Tv every night before I go to bed to make sure everyone is ok. The wireless was easy to set up, but I am thinking of converting it to wired because I get so much interference.

8. Rainbow Meadows Farm

Rainbow Meadows Farm New Member

May 26, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I love mine and yes it is out on the web for others to watch. The best part is if we have a busy schedule my mother watches from New York and calls if we need to be home. So we have a built in kid sitter. It also allows her to take part in the goat world while she cares for my elderly Aunt and can not be home for the special events. We are looking into upgrading so we can have 2 way audio. Great way to yell for hubby to come running. Also we can plead with them to quiet down so we can sleep :ROFL:

9. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    It really depends how far you barn is from your house and how many walls the signal has to travel through. The first two cameras we purchased didn't work at all for our situation. Our goat area is fairly far from the house and there are at least 6-7 walls between. We ended up having to get a fairly pricey camera designed for horse farms. It has a transmitter that points from the barn loft to the goat area and sends a signal to the house.

I know some people who have really good success with the security cameras from Home Depot. Most cameras also work in the dark which is nice.

~Shannon

10. It would be a great idea in the future for us. I will have to make it a "thing to do" on my list. LOL

11. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

This is one of those things on my list of things to get this spring before kidding season. I'm going to try one of those cheaper ones from Wal-Mart or Lowes/Menards. I have a log house & the barn isn't too far away so I'm hoping the signal will go through without too any problem. It's worth trying though since I'll have around 10 girls due to kid starting in March.

12. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    We call it "GOAT TV!" The dogs love to watch it too. LOL

13. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    We have 2 cameras, 2 recievers, and 2 tvs! We call it G-TV! I can watch my goats from both floors of my house. It goes back and forth between the 2 camers. I can watch 2 different areas. It's great. We got ours at Walmart around $80 for a camera and reciever. It is in color, has sound and infra red to see at night.