Goat can't breath?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dover Farms, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Okay...about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago Brigitte started breathing heavy and we thought she was getting pneumonia as the temperature was going up and down. So we started her on Excenel...and for a day she seemed to be doing better. And then she got worse...a little better again then worse again. She was on Excenel for 2 weeks. We took her to the vets Thursday morning and they gave her Nuflor, Banamine, and one-time-thing up her nose. They told us to wait 48 hours before we give her the next doses of Nuflor and Banamine. Today she acts like she can't barely breath with her mouth open and panting(she has been panting, but not this bad). We gave her the Nuflor and Banamine. She is still breathing pretty heavy. She was dewormed 2 weeks ago with Ivermectin(SP?).

Any advise is appreciated.....

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I would try to give her vet RX in her noe and orally. Sorry I can't be of more help =(

3. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    The only thing I could think of to help her would be to keep her cool as possible..in the shade and give her some warm water to drink.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This is some remarks from another post- I don't have any personal experience to offer but it seems like you are doing everything you can- I hope she improves soon.

"Also wanted to say that if this were my herd everyone would be getting a shot of Bio-mycin 200 then put on auromycin 4 gram crumbles dosed at 1 oz per goat to give them 250mg of tetracycline top dressed on their feed once a day for at least a month. This is highly contagious and should be treated agressivly. They could all be harbering the germ and with weather changes or stress bam an outbreak will happen.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Does she sound like she has fluid in her chest at all? Is it accompanied by a cough? Does she have a snotty nose?

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    She does have a rattle when breathing. And she will cough sometimes. No one else has it.....she is in with another doe who is perfectly fine. She doesn't have a snotty nose either.

Wednesday she had a temp that was 3 below average, but the next day it when we took her to the vets it was fine.

The vet also wanted to test her for CAE because she has knobby knees. Now let me tell you...she's always, ALWAYS had knobby knees since the day she was born. They haven't gotten bigger or anything....they're just....her knees. I called the vet when she was breathing so bad this morning...and they said to give her the shots they sent home with us and that there was nothing else we could do until the tests come back. They said it takes a week to get the tests back, so next Thursday. I get the feeling that if she comes back pos. they aren't going to do anything else..... :(

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Jacque, do you think you could get a picture of her knees? If you don't want to post it on the forum you can email it to me. I know what CAE knees look like. I hate to say it, but chronic pneumonia is one of the four signs of CAE.

Do you think you could get to a health food store near you? If you could get the remedy Antimonium tartaricum(abbreviated tart.) that is for congestion in the chest, no discharges from the nose, rattle in the chest. In the 30c or 6c potency would work.

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I can get pics to send to you, but not tonight...it's raining and I have Youth Night tonight. This is the first time she has ever had any breathing problems/pneumonia.

We could probably get that remedy....thanks! :)