Goat can't get up...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cajungoatmama, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Hello everyone, I have a buck that's almost 6 months old who's having problems. First of all he had runny poo for a little over a week. I treated him for cocci, gave him pepto, wormed him, and he finally had normal poo. But by the time I got rid of the runs, he was really weak and couldn't get up on his own. He still had a good appetite and I gave him electrolytes, iron, B complex, and LA 200. Inside his mouth was really pale, not pink at all. Sunday we had to evacuate for Hurricane Gustav and we weren't able to come home until Tuesday night. I don't think that he stood up at all while we were gone. Now he can't walk at all. I pick him up, but he can't bend his legs on his own. I can make them bend, but he just falls when I try to let go of him. He has a great appetite. I really don't know what to do. I really can't afford to bring him to the vet, knowing that it would cost 100+ for a goat that was maybe worth 30. Any suggestions would be a great help!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like he is dehydrated and anemic. Get some pig iron injectable or Red Cell (from the feed store) THe iron injectable is my first choice though so check TSC I know they carry it. Give him 1 cc today and then 1/2cc for 7 days

For the dehydration you need to get some SQ fluids in to him. That would be best.

3. How would I go about getting SQ fluids in him? Where would I go to get it? He is drinking plenty of water.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    whenever I have had goats need SQ fluids the vet did it. I do believe it is just some special sugar water but I could be wrong. :shrug:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    if you could get your hands on 50% Dextrose, that works SQ. not sure where or how to administer it.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to administer it you make a "tent" in the skin on their back. You then put in as much as you can (the goat will look like a camel, this is normal) and the body will obsorb it - usually pretty quick

7. Candy

Candy New Member

A goat's muscles will atrophy in a very short period of time. I would be concerned about his not moving his legs on his own. It is VERY important to 'exercise' his legs on a reg. basis. Don't let him lay flat. Keep doing what you are doing but don't forget about his legs--keep them moving--- :)
    Candy

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Normal Saline is fine or Lacted Ringers solution(full of electrolytes). I have given SQ tons of times. Over the shoulders and along the back. Shoulders work best. It will leave a big bump and some fluid may drip back out along with blood. Thats normal. If he is drinking a lot and peeing like normal then I wouldn't think he is dehydrated.

You can get both of those from the vet or some places online. They are technically RX items, but I think hoeggers(sp) supply has Lacted Ringers. You can draw it out of the bag with a 50cc syringe. Give 50cc on either side for a total of 500cc the first day and 250cc the next couple days or until he is able to keep himself hydrated. Those dosages are based on a adult Nigerian goat. I would give less to a kid.

Could he possibly need selenium?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a kid with diarreah for only one day and he was nursing off his mom and the vet gave him 200cc of SQ fluids. It is amazing how fast they get dehydrated he said.

I was hoping you would jump in here with information Ashely as I knew you had experience in this area

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is what I was going to say. Massage those legs, get blood back in them and you can not do it for just a couple minutes, you have to do it like you mean it, and do it like Physical Therapy.
    By the way how are things at home. Did you all make it ok through Gustaf? I hope so.

11. Thanks everyone for the help. He is still alive, but just barely. I think that his muscles did atrophy, I have been working with his legs and even made a sling so he wouldn't be just lying down, but nothing is working, he still can't stand. I gave him both selenium and iron. He's still eating and drinking fine though. I really appreciate everyones help, but I just don't think he's going to make it. I think that I will have to end up putting him down if he doesn't get better soon. I just can't let him live like he is now, not being able to move at all.

As to Hurricane Gustav, we had a mandatory evacuation, but thankfully it didn't hit us directly. We only got some wind and rain, nothing major at all.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am sorry to hear this. :hug: you are doing the best you can for him

thats good news about the hurrican though

13. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I dont know if you have already put him down but I just wanted to share my experience with one of my bucklings (then 6 months old)
    Ozzy came to us from a breeder who used pellet dewormer (I know....ugg!) but the breeder did not tell us this. We then dosed him with Safequard (another ugg!) about a month and a half later. Yet another month went by and Ozzy crashed....HARD! Runny diarrhea for 2 weeks that wound not stop no metter how much scourhalt or pepto we used. He got extremely anemic and dyhydrated and was down for another 2 weeks. We gave him subQ fluids, ivermec, iron tablets and vit b tablets as well as electrolytes and water. The diarrhea finally stopped and he was slowly able to get himself up and walkin. He is now over a year old and one of our herd sires.

My mom was actually ready to put him down after week one but I just couldnt let her do it without trying everything. Dont give up, try these things. Goats are very resiliant, just keep trying and have faith.

I will be praying for you and your little guy,
    CJ

14. CJ- Thanks so much for sharing your story with me...it sounds like my goat Peter has had the exact same symptoms as Ozzy had. The only thing that I haven't done that you did is to give him subQ fluids. I wormed twice with ivermec. I really think that I could save him if it wasn't for his legs. Now he can't even move them. It's like they're all tightened up to where I can't bend them either. So, thanks again, I'm going keep praying that something will happen and he will get better.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would really try to get some SQ fluids and get those into him. It's amazing how much it helps.

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is he UTD on CD&T shots? The tightening in his legs almost sounds like tetanus, but you said he is eating so it sounds like he doesn't have lock jaw. How is the selenium in your area? He could be selenium deficient and you may be seeing white muscle disease. Can you get Bo-Se from your vet and see if that would work for him?

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Are we sure this isn't Polio? Maybe he needs some B vitamins?

18. Candy

Candy New Member

How often and for how long were you able to 'exercise' his legs? Are you still rubbing them to keep the circulation good? Do they move at all with your help?
    Candy

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The only thing about polio is that there tends to be a lot more neurological symptoms: shaking, stargazing, inability to use the limbs at all(as in they can't stand), teeth grinding, and they bleat a lot as if they are in pain. I've never seen a polio goat eat well either :?

20. Candy

Candy New Member

How's he doing. :?
    Candy