Goat can't get up...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cajungoatmama, Sep 3, 2008.

1. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    If you can not give sq fluids the next best thing would be the electrolytes. Find somethin with atleast trace amounts of iron in it. We used Gaterade (Ozzy LOVED the orange flavored one). At first we had him drinkin it from a bottle but then he graduated to a bowl. Make sure you are diluteing the gaterade with water half and half. So half water, half gaterade. And make sur ethe gaterade is room tempurate. Give him as much as he wants every hour. Even if you have to refill the bowl a million times. He will drink what he needs and will pee out the rest. Also continue the iron tablets (we got the ones for people and were giving 3 tablets twice daily) and vit B (we did 2 tablets twice daily).

Im not sure what you can do for muscle atrophy. Keep workin with those legs. I learned in biology today (LOL!) that dehydration can cause the cells in the muscle tissue to shrivel up causing an inability to bend or move his legs. If you can rehydrate him, there is a chance you can save his legs and he will regain the use of them. His body is making cells all the time, millions per second, dividing and dividing and dividing. There is still hope.

Saving Ozzy took a lot of time and patience. He slept in the house with me and I got up ever hour through the night to make sure he got his electrolytes. THis was over spring break so I was home from school and didnt go anywhere I didnt have to so that he would get his electrolytes on time. Keep tryin, for the longest time we didnt see any improvement then about a week and a half in, he started bouncing back and gettin his color back. And now he's absolutely gorgeouse!

I did a little write-up type thing after it happened so that I would know exactly how it went down and exactly how long it took for him to recover, I will have my mom email it to me so that I can share with you. Please please please dont give up.

Best of Luck!!!!
    Chelsi

PS: I will try harder to check this thread everyday. Got a little caught up in things the past few days lol.

2. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Salt, sugar and selenium should also be in whatever electrolyte you choose. These are esasential in the absorbtion of water and electrolytes.

Keep tryin! Im prayin for you 2!!!

3. cajungoatmama

cajungoatmama Guest

Oct 10, 2007
    I'm still trying...but nothing is changing. The bad thing is that I am in college right now and can't check on him every hour or so. Right now I'm giving him selenium, iron, and vit. b. He's such a mess, since he can't stand to use the bathroom it's all over him. I'm going to get more gatorade tomorrow, I gave it to him for awhile and nothing changed, but I guess I'll try again. Right now we're in the cone of Hurricane Ike's path, so we're praying that it doesn't hit here. :GAAH:

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i had a little goat like that and he had serious worms. what color are his gums?

5. cajungoatmama

cajungoatmama Guest

Oct 10, 2007
    His gums are pretty much white. I've wormed him twice in the last 3 weeks though. Yesterday under his jaw was swollen, but today it's not, so...i don't know what to think.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    sounds to me like bottlejaw. (second opinion :shrug: ) i would worm him with ivomectin

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What wormer are you using and what dosage?

8. cajungoatmama

cajungoatmama Guest

Oct 10, 2007
    Ivomec 1cc per 75 lbs

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is that the injectable one? I dose that at 1cc per 20 lbs with no ill effects. Oh and I give it orally. I don't inject it.

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Have you tried poking his back feet to see if he can feel them? If you just take a little sharps something and pressing lightly into the soft part of the leg or foot, he should react. If he doesn't when you know he normally would, then he probably can't feel it. If that's true, the first thing that occurs to me in menegeal worm damage.

11. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Does he ever seem to be in pain? Does he grind his teeth or grunt? I would say continue to give him Gatorade.
    I hope he gets better for you! :hug: :grouphug:

12. cajungoatmama

cajungoatmama Guest

Oct 10, 2007
    Hello everyone, just wanted to let ya'll know that we had put Peter down. I tried hard to save him, but nothing seemed to work. My dad went to the barn to see Peter this evening and came in furious that I was letting an animal suffer like that. He took care of him while I was at my night class. So thanks everyone for posting, I really learned alot even though he didn't make it. I also added quite a bit to my medicine cabinet. So, thanks again!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    cajungoatmama ....I am so sorry about your loss........... :hug:

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    :hug: i had to do that with my little buck syrup that had this same problem a week ago.. my condolences :hug:

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    SDK I am so sorry............. :cry: :hug: :tears:

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry you lost Peter, sometimes it is best when we need to help them to greener pastures, he's running and playing now :hug:

17. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Im so sorry you lost him. You did all you could. :hug: :grouphug:

18. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Although not experienced enough to offer advice, I have been following your thread. I am very sorry you lost Peter.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry that you lost him. What a shame. You did all that you could. :grouphug:

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts