Goat cant pee after having casteration surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by woowind, Jul 30, 2020.

1. woowind

woowind New Member

Apr 25, 2018
    UPDATE!!! he is finally peeing normal. It was the swelling causing the issue. It just took time for the meds to take down the swelling. So if anyone ever runs into this issue. just give it time and anti-inflame meds and he be ok. Got a question for anyone who been through this. Surgical castrated their goats by a vet. My goat's temp is normal, everything else is normal. The only issue im having right now is he not peeing normally. He and his brother was surgically castrated yesterday by my livestock vet. They are 21 weeks old ND. one is fine peeing normally. the other is not peeing just drops. He does have more swelling than the other one. My question is this normal 24 hours after surgery? My vet said that it more likely due to the swelling. I just wanted to get 2nd opinion from someone who has had a vet surgically castrated their goats. If this is something that normally happens after surgery. If it could be swelling. Like to add that he is acting completely normal other than not peeing normal. also before his surgery, he was peeing completely normal. he not acting at all in pain. still eating and drinking.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did the vet give you Banamine to give them for swelling? I haven't had the surgery done but I would expect supportive care and medication to get them peeing right away.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Sounds like it may be unrelated to the surgery and he has Urinary Calculi. Call the vet.

Goataddict likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Contact the vet right away, could be urinary stones.

5. woowind

woowind New Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Nope it was just the swelling he is finally peeing normal. I did call the vet. He been informed the whole time.

6. woowind

woowind New Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Nope it was just the swelling he is finally peeing normal. I did call the vet. He been informed the whole time.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. woowind

woowind New Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Yes he had me giving meds for it. He finally peeing normal it just took a little bit to start working, I worry about my goats like my kids.

ksalvagno and toth boer goats like this.
  8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

So happy it has all worked out for you. You must worry about your goats. They really love you for it.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. woowind

woowind New Member

Apr 25, 2018
    yes i worry about them just like i do my kids. they are my other kids LOL

happybleats likes this.
  11. If you have more to castrate next year I really recommend the burdizzo. We got one at Premier sheep supply and would never do it any other way Hurts a lot when you are crushing the cord but no after effects that we have every seen. Skipping - jumping - right after and best of all no wound to worry about. The goats scream like crazy when you are doing it but lambs seem to just quietly take it. In the past we've done the bands and surgery. Never again. The tool is expensive -Premier has a good one.

SalteyLove likes this.
  12. woowind

woowind New Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Thankfully for now i dont plan on keeping any more males. But in future i will keep this in mine. I really dont ever want go through that surgery ever again. Im glad my boy is doing so much better now. Thanks for the info hun.

toth boer goats likes this.