The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of planning a class on goat care. The different areas I will be demonstrating on and giving hands on experience with are: hoof trimming, doing your own fecals and drawing blood to send off for testing.
I would like to know if their is anyone out there who would be interested in participating in the upcoming class.
I also welcome any other areas of interest that you may have that you feel would be helpful to have a class on.
Once I hear back to see how many are interested in learning these skills, I will then arrange the time, date and place where this will take place. So far I have had requests of those interested in these classes as far away as an 8 hour drive. Please contact me by email or message me if you would be interested or would like to see a class on another subject. Thank you all for you input.so far. I look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Man, I would be standing in line to sign up if you weren't so far away.
That's a GREAT idea!

·
Registered
364 Posts
me too, if i wasn't in colorado and utah! have you thought of doing a virtual class?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
me too, if i wasn't in colorado and utah! have you thought of doing a virtual class?
I would be more than willing to do a virtual class however, sometimes seeing how to do something is not as helpful as actually having the hands on experience.
I had watched every goat video I could find on drawing blood for testing. I even had my sister in law, who draws blood on people routinely as part of her job, come and try to draw blood to help me. Neither one of us could hit nor find the jugular. When I took them into my vet to draw the blood she graciously told me that I needed to learn this skill as it was much cheaper than having to pay for her to do it all the time. She showed me exactly what to look for, How to feel for it, angle of the needle, and now, I can successfully draw blood on every single goat my very first time.
I personally needed hands on help with what it was I was suppose to feel and where to place the needle.

I am more than willing to travel somewhere to teach others goat care but in order to do so, I would need enough people interested in a class to make it worthwhile. I live in Fort Madison Iowa, but I have had requests from people from Minnesoata, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas who are wanting me to do this class. That is why I thought I would try to find out if their are others who are also interested in learning these skills.
For me, I would have traveled a long distance if I could have found someone to help me learn. I have found a lot of classes on artificial insemination, but not very many classes on regular and routine goat care and testing.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Make sure that you look at the laws of different states. In my state it is illegal to draw blood from an animal not your own or teach someone how to do it, even on your own animal, without a permit.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I agree with Goathiker, the laws very from state to state. I really do need to learn to draw blood, I figure I'll learn eventually. I had a hard time with shots at first too, but I do fine on that now...

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I think this is a great idea!! (with in the law of course lol)....I draw blood for friends and will teach anyone who asks...Never thought about the law..guess I should check..but I think holding clinics isa great idea!! I would see how to go about getting certified for famancha score card as well...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts