Goat cart and harness

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Gear' started by JEarp, Jan 9, 2014.

1. JEarp

JEarp New Member

Nov 21, 2013
    DOes anyone know where to buy a harness and cart for my NDG wether? Anyone on here have experience training a goat to pull a cart?
    Judy

2. sanhestar

sanhestar New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    try hoeggers goat supply

3. ciwheeles

ciwheeles New Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    They have a lot of goat harnesses, carts, and equipment here at LlamaProducts.com. I think their prices are just a little better than hoeggers too. :)

4. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I got my harness and cart from Hoegger's Goat Supply, but I just got Hoegger's new catalog and it looks as though they are no longer selling the Country Squire cart. The cart on LlamaProducts.com looks nice, but it's little. It says it's for dogs or goats up to 31 inches, which is quite small for a harness goat. You might have to do some research. You might look into buying a miniature horse or Shetland pony cart. The cart should sit with the shafts level at about the height of your goat's point of shoulder when properly hitched. Carts with adjustable shaft height are really nice and make it versatile if you plan to use different animals, or if you have one that's growing.

5. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    Harness advice please....

I'm looking at k9carting.com.
    I ordered a harness that doesn't fit correctly....but mine are growing goats and we all need training.
    The carts look lovely and are adaptable to make into a snow sleigh!
    I was thinking a goat harness with the cart may be perfect.

Any suggestions?
    I'll take all the advice I get.

(Love my kids.)
    :angel2:

PS: (Goat supplies are VERY expensive!)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  6. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The dog carts look very nice, but they are too small for the average carting goat. It looks like they are for animals under 32", and most non-miniature goats are going to exceed this height. If you want to save money you might think about buying a sturdy hand wagon and making a whiffletree and shafts for it yourself. A wagon has the benefit of having loose shafts that don't put any weight on the animal's back, so you don't have to worry about shaft height/levelness. This is nice if you want to train goats that aren't done growing yet.

With that in mind, make sure you never make a goat pull a full load until he is completely mature. A two-year-old goat can be trained to pull an empty or lightly loaded cart or wagon, but he shouldn't be made to pull people until he's at least three.

7. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    Well seeing as the original poster was looking for a harness for a NDG(Nigirian Dwarf Goat) and their hight at the shoulder for bucks should be under 23 inches I think a cart for under 32 inches is a good idea. Maybe even smaller.

8. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Good point. I was actually responding to Suntoo's post the second time though. A Nigerian Dwarf might do well with a small Radio Flyer wagon. I wouldn't try to hook a two-wheeled cart to such a small goat because it would be too easy to overload the goat's back. It would be hard to find a cart low enough, and you absolutely don't want the shafts pointing downhill.

9. kelly t

kelly t New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    will this cart work for my goat???

Hi
    I found this cart that is being sold and was wondering if it would work for my goat to pull? The wood part on the cart needs replaced and the shafts have been cut down already. The price is right. My goat I have now is 32" tall at his withers and is only 1 1/2 years old so I am sure he will end up bigger even yet. He is 1/2 oberhasli and 1/2 alpine. Picture attached. Thanks for everyone's replies.

Attached Files:

10. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA
    The price is killer!

11. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The price is great! The main thing to check out is how high the shafts sit when the cart is level. They should be about the same height as your goat's point of shoulder. Of course, your goat has a lot of growing to do, but make a good estimate of how tall you think he'll be and make sure the shafts will be the right height for him when he's done growing. It's ok if the shafts sit a little low--shaft loops can be lowered quite a bit, but they can't be raised if the shafts are too high for him. It's also ok if the cart tips back just a little bit (my cart tips back a little with my tall goat), but the shafts absolutely should not point downhill with your goat in draft because it will hurt his back.

12. kelly t

kelly t New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    What kind of cart do you have...this cart is way too big for him. The shafts are 70 inches long and the seat where I would sit is 40 inches long. Did not realize it was so big. Think I may need dog cart or e-z entry mini horse cart.

13. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I have the old Country Squire cart that Hoegger's used to sell, but it's no longer in their catalog. A mini horse cart is about the same size though. This lady sells a metal one very similar to mine for $449. http://www.nwminitack.com/equipment.html

That's about what we paid for our goat cart 10 years ago, and our has fewer features, so this looks like a great cart for the price. It's a lot to pay all at once, but if you think about all the years of use you can get out of it, it doesn't seem so much. Especially if you have the family all chip in to buy it for you as a big birthday or Christmas present. ;)

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That price is wonderful. I would get it and if it goes not work I am sure you can get a LOT more out of it.