The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make the vinegar cheese but my family likes spicy stuff can I add a can if rotel to it and what would I have to change in te recipe if I do that less vinegar or just add it I've never made cheese so have no idea how it all works

Also does anyone have a recipe for the white cheese dip like Elacapulco serves I've heard it's from goats milk but can't find a recipe anywhere

·
14,615 Posts
Simple vinegar cheese is the only one I've made. If you decrease the vinegar it wont set up as well.
What is rotel?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
You can make vinegar cheese just like normal, then add seasonings if you like.For a really easy dip cheese, I used to put the vinegar cheese in the blender to make it softer. Then add seasonings. :) works pretty well, but it's not as creamy as other cheeses.

Chèvre is a fairly simple dip type cheese to make. Fias co farm has a great recipe on their website. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks !!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simple vinegar cheese is the only one I've made. If you decrease the vinegar it wont set up as well.
What is rotel?
Rotel is a green chille and tomatoes mix

I made the cheese today it's hanging to dry now so was wanting to add the rotel in it after it Hangs for awhile but Diddnt know if it would make the cheese go bad fast because rotel isn't dry seasonings

Does the pics look like it turned out this is when I drained it I thought it was disposed to be bigger chunks ??

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
That looks exactly like vinegar cheese to me. :) but if you hang it, it will get pretty hard, so you may want to add seasonings first. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks !!it's already hung for 6 hrs so should I add the seasoning and refrigerate it its still damp but not dripping

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
You can add just about anything to it..its a blank cavas :D We like to use juice from a jar of jalapenos to help curd it along with some vinegar....the we chop jalepenos up and add it tto the cheese in the strainer...strain until your prefered dryness....we like to wrap it tight so its slicable..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I added the green chilles and tomatoes and put it in a cake pan mold will this work and should I refrigerate it now or what sorry so many questions

Just read your post happybleats so you add the jalepeno juice as your adding the vinegar ?
And how long do u hang so you can slice that's how I'd like it I'm afraid this ain't drying good its still wet curdled like cottage cheese

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pic

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Refridgerating it will make it solid enough to slice, if you want it to be spreadable, let it sit out for a bit or even microwave it for a few seconds.
I want to slice it so do I need to refrigerate it in the cheesecloth or is it ok in my cake pan molds ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks !!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My cheese is still wet and spongy after putting it in the fridge was I supposed to do something else to it I also left a little in the cheese cloth drying and it's sti the same shouldn't it b drying more I made it yesterday afternoon

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
when I make it, once the whey is seperated from the curds we pour it in a cheese cloth lined strainer...we lift all four corners and strain much of the whey Out ( in a bowel for our pigs) the we salt or add our herbs, peppers what ever we desire...we then lift the four corners again and wrap tight..once we like the "dryness" level we plop it in a bowl and cover with a clean cloth until cool..then we put plasitc wrap over it to keep from drying out..it holds its round shape or sometimes we press it into a ovel shape for slicing for crackers...I like a bit more moisture to my cheese and Hubby like it real dry..just play with it and see what you prefer...: )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts