Goat Choke Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mlpfan, Sep 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mlpfan

mlpfan New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I have a full sized Goat, I can't remember her exact breed right now but she's about 8 years old. yesterday I gave her her morning dry pellet feed of about two handfulls and she started eating and I started to go inside when she started acting like she was in trouble, she started coughing and running around and had foam coming out of her mouth and nostrils and she kept coughing and slinging foam and struggling to breath. I tried rubbing her throat and sides but she kept choking. after several attempts to get her to cough it up I went inside and I called the vet and immediately loaded her up in the car and rushed her to the vet . Vet met me and gave her a shot of muscle relaxer which immediately helped her breath and the vet kept "milking" her throat and she kept coughing up feed and foam. Vet gave her a big shot of antibiotics but she was still working up foam and feed. so the vet kept her in a stall for 8 hours for observation and to keep giving her muscle relaxer so she could keep coughing it up. went and picked her up that evening and took her home "she is absolutely terrified of cars" and she was not herself she peed and pooped and ate and drank a little "no dry feed at all I'm not temping fate twice in one day" just some leaves. but I can tell she's feeling bad.

she ate some leaves overnight and drank and peed and pooped but I am worried about her because she coughs a little sometimes and she acts like she's not having a fun time chewing her cud and she's making her little " i feel bad" sounds and she's not moving around like she always does and just acting like she feels bad. Vet said she was fine when they released her. what can I do? sorry for the wall of text stuff like this really makes me anxious.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can give her a shot of Banamine. But in time she will be fine. A bad choke is hard on them and can hurt for a few days.

3. mlpfan

mlpfan New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    thank you, I can't stand to see her feeling bad

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A warm soothing honey tea can help calm the throat. she may drink it up with out a fuss, other wise you can slowly syringe her.
    Just add a teaspoon or so of honey to 1 cup warm water.

5. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    When your goat chokes, it is absolutely terrifying to see the reaction. First time I saw it happening, it scared me quite a bit. Being anxious towards feeding pellet food afterwards is very understandable. Don't laugh, I even tried doing the Heimlich maneuver on my goat. Finally, after massaging his throat repeatedly it came up and out. Good job getting your girl to the vet so quickly when it wouldn't budge.

Consider finding a few lemon sized rocks to put into the bottom of her food container to help slow down her desire and ability to gulp the pellets down too quickly.

The muscle relaxers relax more than just the throat muscles and have a tendency to leave a groggy effect for several hours. Choking scared and stressed your girl similar to the way it would a person. More than likely, she has a bad sore throat from the ordeal too. Added to that, the terrifying car ride to and from the vet, and possibly the sounds, different smells and unfamiliar environment of a different stall added additional stress. Your doe is probably wiped out emotionally and physically from the misadventure.

You had to do what needed to be done, no doubt about it. Both you and the doe need a little time to bounce back. :hug:

HMNS and mlpfan like this.
  6. mlpfan

mlpfan New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Yeah she is not my biggest fan at the moment LOL when I try to get close to her to try and give her a snack she backs off and avoids me until I walk off and then she follows me like "where you going?" she always has been a strong independent goat who don't need no human

7. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    She sounds very much to have the personality of one of mine, an independent little goober. Right now she is still a little shaken, somewhat afraid and uncertain in general. Kind of like, don't anybody get too close in my personal space. She will follow you, not run from you, the bond is there and still strong. You are her hero and her favorite human, truely.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Maybe give her hay first so she isn't so hungry (in her mind) then grain with the fist size rocks in it. M

I have a Oberhasli that gobbles so fast she ends up throwing it back up. But, if she and everyone, gets hay first, she doesn't gobble as fast, or as much. Choke is scary. Good job on your quick thinking!

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Wet the grain if she will eat it like that.

10. mlpfan

mlpfan New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I hope she feels better soon, I can tell her throat is super sore and her lungs probably still have goat feed in them. she's not really eating much at all, I'm going to try and give her a little hay and see if she'll eat that better

happybleats and NigerianNewbie like this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

Hope she is doing better.

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Hay is good...Try some safe leaves as well..pine and or cedar are good choices too. sticking with a bland diet until she is 100% is a good idea. best wishes

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. mlpfan

mlpfan New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    She is slowly getting better I think, still not eating much

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good work.

I would give her fortified vit B shots, 6 cc's per 100 lbs, SQ, to help boost appetite. Also give probiotics.

15. NicoleV

NicoleV Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2015
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Since you think some grain may have gotten into her lungs, I would recommend getting a stethoscope (they only cost about $5) and checking her lung sounds for signs of pneumonia. Also check her temp regularly during recovery so you can catch any sign of infection, which would be an elevated temperature.

Glad she is doing a little better. I know choke can be really scary! My goats have even choked on oak leaves when they gobble them up too fast (the small dry prickly kind from the coastal live oak that we have in coastal california).

toth boer goats likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California