goat clipping question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Mar 31, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I know I've asked this somewhere, but can't find the post it was in....

We only have 2 doelings that might be in a 4-H show in a few months. Boer percentage doelings, and wanted to know if I could really get away with trimming them with my husband's old clipper set? I would love to avoid having to buy a clipper set, they are pricy...especially for 2 goats...and don't want to dig into the pocket more than I have to until I know my kids are going to like showing in 4-H.

Anyone else use people clippers and get away with it? :greengrin:

2. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I did, but we didn't show him. I used my dog clippers and buzzed our buckling down. He looked a bit uneven for about 3-4 days but then it looked very nice. I think if you did it a week or a little more before a show you would be okay. Of course, that was my first goat clip job. :p
    **Oh! When my kids were going to show last year, the 4-H meat goat leader was going to have everyone bring their projects down to teh 4-H building and teach everyone to buzz their goats on the stands using their clippers. So...you may have those available to you to use. They were going to let us all borrow the stands and/or clippers if needed. We just didn't stick with it to find out.

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Aimee! Unfortunately I don't think our 4-H does anything like that. They aren't much help here....in fact my kids are the only kids in 4-H in our county! The show at the fair isn't even 'just for 4-H' the fair is in mid June, but the kids 4-H show will be in July. If they go to a show it 'may' be an open show at our fair, or one in a neighboring county.
    We'll work on grooming the girls and hopefully we won't have to do too much trimming. I do plan on keeping my eyes open for a decent used pair of small animal clippers....but if I don't find a pair....hehe...this is gonna be fun!

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Wow! :shocked: The only kids in 4-H there? I was amazed to read you were having to register your girls, and in your kids' names at that, just to be able to show them in 4-H! Our 4-H shows are just "meat goat" and that can be any meat type goat, no papers needed. In fact, last year's state winner was with a spanish goat that beat out all of the expensive boer wethers! Our kids can show wethers or doelings, but they are considering adding in breeding stock. I imagine it will then get extremely competitive. :roll:

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    OOps only kids with goats LOL Sorry I think I was typing too fast and missed that part hehe!! Most kids are showing calves or pigs, or are doing the country ham project.
    Yeah, real crazy that the goats have to be registered in the kids names solely! I had considered getting a ranch membership with the kids names in the ownership with mine, and 4-H wouldn't allow that either. So I ended up having to get each of my kids a junior membership, and decided to just let my son register our buck in his name....that away the doelings could get registered too.
    They seem to do things here more complicated than in other parts of the country... I need to tattoo the girls at the end of next month, and I'm thinking they may STILL require a scrapie tag! GRRRRR... I hope not! But I will find out Tues evening at the next meeting.

I think the show we were aiming for would be around June 12th, but only if my kids can attend another local show so they know what to expect. I need to get info like what they are supposed to wear, etc. My oldest daughter has ADHD, so I'd want her to meet with the judge so she isn't sooooo nervous.
    I could see all the fuss if we were showing top quality stock...but geez...I never expected it to be so complicated.