The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 4 month old pygmys. They had these beautiful coats but now it looks like cottony fleece. Ill post pics. One did have a bout of sore mouth around her waddle but that has resolved. Are they deficient w something?

Vertebrate Dog Dog breed Mammal Grass

Terrestrial animal Tail Rodent Fur Grass

Water Working animal Terrestrial animal Snout Boar

Carnivore Plant Dog breed Terrestrial animal Grass

Attachments

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do. They get free choice kelp and mineral (calf manna) and also grain, alfalfa pellets, and sunflower seeds. I havent dosed them with mollys herbals for worms yet because they spit it out. I bolused their momma with copper. SHould I do them as well?

·
Super Moderator
59,791 Posts
Are you considering your mineral Calf Manna? Calf Manna is a supplement, not a mineral. Manna Pro Goat Mineral or Sweetlix Meatmaker Goat Mineral or Cargill Right Now Onxy Cattle minerals are good ones. Yes, go ahead and copper bolus them. It is fine.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its Manna Pro. I got it confused with Calf manna. Ok I will bolus them with the copper. I just didnt wanted to overdo it and give them too much. I put them in marshmallows. I hope they take them like the momma goats.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Are you coming into warm weather? I have a couple nubians that shed their undercoats as spring comes. Even though they dont get real shaggy during winter, they lose the cottony undercoat each spring - makes them look a little scraggly for a couple weeks till it all comes out.

·
Banned
988 Posts
Are you coming into warm weather? I have a couple nubians that shed their undercoats as spring comes. Even though they dont get real shaggy during winter, they lose the cottony undercoat each spring - makes them look a little scraggly for a couple weeks till it all comes out.
That was my first thought when I seen them.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I thought that they might be shedding. But I thought that this looked more like the undercoat. It is as if they kept the undercoat but lost the actual hair. It has been a bit warm here in fort smith-arkansas. A few 90 degree days. I dont see any lice. I put sevin on their bedding that I clean out daily. Their fur is very soft to the touch. I have 2 other babies about the same age-from a different momma and they still have their regular hair-althought they are white and never were as soft as my black/brown goats. Their temperments are completely different too. My black babies are soooo cuddly, my white ones are a bit skiddish. Which is weird because their momma is my most lovable. I just want to make sure I am doing the best for my goats. I love them tremendously.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do their tails look fishtailed to anyone?
I gave one a small copper bolus this am in a marshmallow.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
What kind of copper are you using? The boluses are not supposed to be used until th ekdis are 6 months old.
The copasure boluses from jeffers do have doses for kids that are less than 6 months old....I think they are new:)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im using the copsure boluses for goats and honestly I gave a miniscule amount. It fit into a mini marshmallow.
I hope it is just their fleece. They have hair on their legs.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
I would first give them a very good combing out...looks like to me undercoat loosening, while you are combing check closely for lice or scaly skin...

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I brush them every day. No lice or scales. I did find a tick in one of their underarms.
The fur just looks really coarse and fleecie. No real hair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts