The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get the "goat coats" or how to make them I like the ones like the lamb tubes but I can't seem to find them for goats...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i make our goat coats, i bought a dog coat at walmart with velcro straps at the neck and belly, and used it as a pattern. all i did was make it larger. measure your goat from withers to pins and enlarge the pattern, i bought really neat goat material on ebay and lined it with fleece. it's really easy if you have any experience sewing.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Caprine Supply and/or Hoeggers has goat coats and pajamas for kids.

·
1,524 Posts
I simply buy the dog or sheep coats for my goats. I can't sew (but I can stitch up a wound!) so I have to buy them.

I have, in a pinch, used sleeve and legs from sweats for kids or smaller goats. I cut off the sleeve or leg, keeping the cuff for the neck. I then cut out the holes for the front legs. If it's for a male, I make sure I cut a "v" along the bottom so it doesn't cover their "sheath".

Walmart usually sells dogs coats really cheap in the spring. I used to buy them all when I had Nigerians.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Jeffers too. Some farm/feed stores have them too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nvm found the prices but would like to know if these will keep them warm? I have a few that have a tuff time keeping warm in the winter and an extra layer would help under there sweatshirts if it helps with warmth.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I buy the glambjams for my daughter's market wethers. We use them for shows and fairs because the goats are clipped. The jams are made out of some kind of stretchy cotton blend material. It is a nice extra layer for the goats, and it keeps them clean. If it is really cold, I will put the jams on them and then a dog coat over that (usually I buy from Jeffers or one of the equine supply sites). The dog coat covers their back, and Velcro straps go under their belly and around their front.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I buy the glambjams for my daughter's market wethers. We use them for shows and fairs because the goats are clipped. The jams are made out of some kind of stretchy cotton blend material. It is a nice extra layer for the goats, and it keeps them clean. If it is really cold, I will put the jams on them and then a dog coat over that (usually I buy from Jeffers or one of the equine supply sites). The dog coat covers their back, and Velcro straps go under their belly and around their front.
What sizes do you buy for your market wethers? Im thinking XLs or 2xs for mine ( ours are very very "fleshy" )

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have bought the large which are 80-120 lbs. I think. Some of the fabrics are stretchier than others so keep that in mind. They are fun prints and well made.

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
I make my own goats coats. I bought a dog coat pattern from Walmart and adjusted it to work for large Toggenbergs. I use whatever fabric works best for my goats. Often its cotton sometimes its fleece. whatever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts