The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Was looking for a few suggestions...I'll give you a quick run down of it all..(kinda long)
I purchased two female fainters Thursday (4 days ago) and I believe one became stressed from the long trip back to our farm and maybe came down with a cold??

She looked fine the day of but the next day (Friday) she had watery eyes and runny nose.
(I'll attach pictures. )

I started her on nutri-drench.
Electrolytes/probiotics.
Gave her a mineral block for selenium.
And some herbal bites that have flax meal, blackstrap molasses, slippery elm bark, cinnamon, ginger root, clove, turmeric root, mullein leaf, and cayenne.

Temperature was 101.3.
Eyelid color looks normal-borderline. (Seller said they dewormed all their goats 3 weeks ago and in April)
Eating and drinking fine.
Tail up, no hunching, no lethargy.

Then Saturday she had two coughing fits...it happened right after she was eating and her cud spewed out. Thought maybe this was gonna turn into pneumonia...grabbed antibiotics to have ready but she no longer coughed since then...still normal temperature. Have not given antibiotics.

It's now Monday and she has not gotten any worse but the runny nose and eye discharge are still apparent.

Do we think it's still a cold? If so, how long does it take to run its course?

I separated her from the other female we bought with her because there seems to be a lot of bullying going on right now. And both are separated from my current healthy flock because I was worried of something like this.

Hay isn't dusty or moldy.
Was pretty dry this last week..maybe the dust from the ground or allergies?

Opened to any kind ideas or suggestions. :)
IMG_9626.jpg
IMG_9627.jpg

·
8,161 Posts
Pneumonia does not always cause a high fever. Can you listen to her lungs? Any congestion? As shot of vitamin B complex never hurts. (1 cc sub q to 25# body weight).

Acting lethargic is concerning. Can you get Vet RX, it's like Vicks for goats, Tractor Supply sells it. (They have chicken rx too, same stuff). That may help open her nasal passages.

Some folks recommend garlic when they are "off". I am not real familiar with that, so hopefully, someone more experience with garlic will chime in.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hmmm... I've never heard of a goat getting a cold. I'm not the most experienced goat person though. I would keep taking her temp and make sure to head off any pneumonia or other respiratory problems. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Colds can definitely happen - just like humans. Especially if it’s been rainy and just funky weather in general (or even the stress your girls experienced). I’m glad you didn’t just jump to antibiotics!

Since she isn’t lethargic or hunched, and sounds to be acting perfectly normal, then you may need to wait it out. We had a group of snotty doelings last fall when it started getting cold and wet outside. It eventually went away after 2-3 weeks. There were a lot of boogers for those couple weeks lol.

Just because she may have a cold now, doesn’t mean it won’t turn into pneumonia later. Keep taking her temp and monitoring her. Any hunching, weird sitting, lack of appetite could mean its no longer a simple cold. Pneumonia doesn’t need watery eyes or nose discharge either. Make sure their shelter is clean and dry, and they have fresh water available at all times.

Probiotics would always be great to give. Even some garlic could be a good idea. I know there are a lot of herbal based breeders in this forum, so I’m sure they could give you some ideas of what would help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I listened to her lungs and they sound clear.

Congestion all seems to be in her nose.

Notices more cud around her mouth and on her leg as if she had another coughing attack and spewed cud. ...maybe from not being able to breath properly out her nose??

I dropped the VetRx in her nostrils and it almost sounded like she had some relief like her passages were opened up for a moment.

Watcher her for a good while and She still looks otherwise normal, curious, and overall alive and well.

Gonna keep trying vetRx.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Start by giving 3 cloves of garlic daily. Raw.

Anytime I’ve had colds, coughs, anything garlic clears it up just fine.

Probios, B Complex, fresh sprigs of thyme. Vitamin c chewables.

You can keep giving the herbal bites daily they won’t hurt!!
Monitor her temp closely.

Keep giving VetRX.

Which antibiotic did you buy?

Could give Benadryl in case of allergies.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
How to feed garlic:

1. Whole cloves (goats take them as treats)
2. Whole cloves coated in molasses or honey
3. Suggestion #1 but tossed with feed
4. Suggestion #2 but tossed with feed
5. Crushed or chopped garlic in feed
6. Suggestion #2 but crushed or chopped in feed
7. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of applesauce
8. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of mashed bananas
9. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of pumpkin puree
10. Suggestion #7, #8, or #9 with Slippery Elm Powder added
11. Crushed garlic mixed with a bit of flaxseed meal and molasses to form a ball
12. Suggestion #11 can be shoved into the mouth of a goat a few times forcefully if they don't like it at first
13. Suggestion #11 can also be tossed into feed, or broken up slightly, then mixed with feed.
14. Garlic can be put into a peanut hull
15. Take a banana slice about an inch thick, scoop out the middle leaving a bit on the bottom, stick the clove in (or crushed garlic) cover the top, and offer to the goat or forcefully put into the goats mouth until they realize it is tasty.

In emergency (non-regular) situations

16. Crushed finely and mixed with water to drench carefully
17. Crushed finely and mixed with juice (carrot, fruit) to drench carefully
18. Crushed finely and mixed with olive oil to drench carefully or feed from a spoon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have some essential oils from Young Living but prolly not the ones I need.

I went out this morning and noticed a little more green cud slung on the wall and water bowl.

She's still eating fine and alert though...

Dropped more VetRx in.

Antibiotics I have on hand are LA200 and Penicillin...still have not given her any yet.

Temp was 100.9 this morning.

I will try the garlic, b complex, and vitamin c today.

But why the slinging of cud?!

This goat is teaching me a lot...

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Slinging cud - low temp - leaning towards rumen distress at the moment - so get 6oz dark beer at room temp in as a drench.

Which oils from young living? Any of the vitality line (single oils)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slinging cud - low temp - leaning towards rumen distress at the moment - so get 6oz dark beer at room temp in as a drench.

Which oils from young living? Any of the vitality line (single oils)?
Dark beer?? I haven't drank in like 7 years haha. We talking like Guinness?? She gonna get drunk? Lol.

These are the only oils I have at the moment.
IMG_1595355297.230719.jpg

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Pneumonia does not always cause a high fever. Can you listen to her lungs? Any congestion? As shot of vitamin B complex never hurts. (1 cc sub q to 25# body weight).

Acting lethargic is concerning. Can you get Vet RX, it's like Vicks for goats, Tractor Supply sells it. (They have chicken rx too, same stuff). That may help open her nasal passages.

Some folks recommend garlic when they are "off". I am not real familiar with that, so hopefully, someone more experience with garlic will chime in.
Garlic is a wonder drug for goats. Try giving her a few cloves for 3 to 4 days. Be warned. Her breath and gasious smells will repel even the best farmer. But it works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts