The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nubian yearling was being stubborn and trying to get behind the milk stand to reach the grain that fell on the floor. I grabbed her collar and pulled her out of it, her feet collapsed under her and she got shaky and was fine again when I pulled her back up by supporting her chest. Has anyone seen this happen before? What could it mean?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happened once to the same goat a few months before. She was locked into the milking stand for her hooves to get trimmed, freaked out because she is stubborn and wanted nothing to do with it, fell to the side of the stand... Same thing happened. She must have choked herself is what I'm guessing?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
or she just tripped herself. my girl does that sometimes...when i'm moving her. she'll just fall over, then get up and be fine.

I mean...I trip over myself sometimes and i'm fine. lol. but it's much more hilarious when I fall...

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think that maybe you cut off blood flow unintentionally. That would explain the weird neurological shakes. That's happened to one of mine when she freaked out on the lead being stubborn and jumped back, pulling on the collar. She just got sort of shaky and tried to lay down, I immediately thought I killed her because I wouldn't let the rope go. She got lots of treats and pets after that haha.

They also do that from lack of oxygen due to cutting off the windpipe..I was leading one of my wethers and his sister out to pasture last year and his sister spooked and ran into him, making him flip. Both of my hands were tangled in collars, but two of my fingers were constricted so tightly in his collar that he couldn't breathe, within 5 seconds he got shaky and fell over and so I was panicking trying to get my hands loose as one was behind my back in his sisters collar. Thankfully his sister stood still and I was able to yank my hand out and I practically ripped his collar off. By then I was sobbing and shaking him, thinking he was dead, but within a few seconds he came to and just stood back up. He was showered in kisses and needless to say I am now VERY careful when leading out to pasture.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have accidentally done this to my huge and very stubborn Nubian wether twice now. I must say, he has stopped trying to fight his way out of the gate now! I have seen many misbehaved boers and even a young Nubian kid go down in the show ring too. I feel so bad, but they soon forget it ever happened! :dazed:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My boer goat did this everytime we put any pressure on her collar when she was pregnant. I thought she was having seizures. After she kidded, no more problems. I can lead her around everywhere.

·
14,802 Posts
My son had a doe that did this, you'd do very little to bring it on. She did it once in the show ring, once he got her up she was absolutely fine.
She did it a couple of times with me, got her up and she was fine - she'd do it with me when I was trimming her feet.

It's definitely very freaky when it happens. I know the first time we ever saw one do it I was like OMG the goat is dying! But once the goat was quickly pulled to it's feet it was like nothing had ever happened.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
It's not always a matter of cutting choking the goat out. I have had two that had nerves in the back of their neck that made them fall over or seemingly pass out when the collar was pressed against it. I know for absolutely sure I had not choked them as the collars were loose and only touching the back of their neck. The same thing would happen without a collar if I just pushed their neck with my hand firmly.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have one little stinker who hates the collar so much she THROWS herself on the ground.:mad:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ive had this happen to my old Saanen Jody who got her leather collar caught around a railing hook in the milk bails and was hanging by it!! Just as well I saw it happen as I recon she would have died.Im only a small person and I managed to part lift that 80 kg doe up enough to release the collar and we both collapsed onto the ground.I relised Jody wasn't breathing and whacked her heart girth hard enough to get her to take a breath,she was going blue and I was starting to panic when all of a sudden she took a big gulp of air and went MAAAA!!!She was also very wobbly and I managed to get her to her feet,mind you this all happened in the middle of a thunderstorm and we were both muddy and wet.I learnt a very important lesson that day,no more leather collars!! I now use nylon ones with plastic pull apart buckles or none,Teejae

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
This happened to me and scared the crap out of me. Once when I was teaching an extremely strong-willed goat how to lead, and rarely when the goat plants its hooves, and I pull. I always feel AWFUL.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts
Yup, it's happened to me before. Scary, but not a big deal as long as you release the pressure immediately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts