The Goat Spot Forum banner

goat cough

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
Hello,
A friend of mine boarded her 2 adult nigerian dwarf does with me during the month of October.
The day after they returned they developed a cough. It is a dry hacking cough, mostly in the morning. No other symptoms. This has been going on for 4+ weeks now.
The morning we were getting them ready to leave we were leading them by their collars, the dog ran after a bird and spooked them. They tried to bolt but my daughter held on. They didn't seem bothered at the time, but we wonder if the cough could be caused from their collars injuring them???
She also noticed when they are coughing, there is a foul smell.
None of my goats are coughing.
We are trying to figure out what could be going on, any ideas?
She did contact vet. Vet said lung worm is rare here, but it wouldn't hurt to treat for it. I advised ivermectin but she is dosing with safeguard. they just finished they 2nd dose and there are no changes.

#2 ·
Hello,
A friend of mine boarded her 2 adult nigerian dwarf does with me during the month of October.
The day after they returned they developed a cough. It is a dry hacking cough, mostly in the morning. No other symptoms. This has been going on for 4+ weeks now.
The morning we were getting them ready to leave we were leading them by their collars, the dog ran after a bird and spooked them. They tried to bolt but my daughter held on. They didn't seem bothered at the time, but we wonder if the cough could be caused from their collars injuring them???
She also noticed when they are coughing, there is a foul smell.
None of my goats are coughing.
We are trying to figure out what could be going on, any ideas?
She did contact vet. Vet said lung worm is rare here, but it wouldn't hurt to treat for it. I advised ivermectin but she is dosing with safeguard. they just finished they 2nd dose and there are no changes.
My guess would be that they are hackin up cud and that is why it smells. Have you gotten a temp on them?

#3 ·
Safeguard does not treat lungworm. Ivermectin treats lung worm.

Check the teeth, they could have a separate issue causing the foul smell.

Take temps. Is there any nose or eye discharge?

What does breathing sound like? Raspy, crackly, or wheezy?

I’d personally give some garlic for a week or two. If you think they hurt their necks give some slippery elm to help soothe their throats (when one of mine had a tracheal issue stimulating a cough, it helped a lot)

#4 ·
Safeguard does not treat lungworm. Ivermectin treats lung worm.

Check the teeth, they could have a separate issue causing the foul smell.

Take temps. Is there any nose or eye discharge?

What does breathing sound like? Raspy, crackly, or wheezy?

I'd personally give some garlic for a week or two. If you think they hurt their necks give some slippery elm to help soothe their throats (when one of mine had a tracheal issue stimulating a cough, it helped a lot)
Temps are normal, no other issues but the hacking cough. I did recommend garlic cloves and she has been giving them for a few days. I will let her know about the slippery elm bark. That's what I thought about the safeguard... I couldn't find anything on it so I will pass that along as well. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.