Goat Coughing/Spitting up foamy stuff

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jay13, May 16, 2009.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I just got my two yearling alpine goats several weeks back and I noticed that one of them is coughing/spitting up when I feed her on the milking stand. Right now they are not in milk, but am catching up on things like hoof trimming (they needed it badly) and getting them used to being "fondled." Next spring they will be FF and I want them at least accustomed to the whole process.

Anyway, one of my goats spits up and shakes her head flinging phlegm and whatever it is she is munching on when she gets up set and sometime for no apparent reason at all. Lately I have been giving them a handful or two of BOSS while they are on the stand as a reward for standing nicely and to keep them occupied. What might this be? They have free choice hay available,and loose mineral along with a mineral block (they seem to prefer the loose mineral). What might this be? Any suggestions on treatment? Everything else (as far as I can tell) is normal and it is only a problem with the one doe, not the other. Thank you for your help.

Jay

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is she coughing when this happens? I notice that when mine choke or get something stuck they cough and when they choke they fling foam....she may have something stuck in her throat, could be anything even a shell from the BOSS.

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Like Liz said it could be anything, I have noticed that when mine choke/foam it is usually from pelleted feed though, especially the little ones.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is that the only time they get a grain type feed? If so she could be eating it to fast. Try putting some rocks in the feeder dish so she has to eat slower