The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
Your superintendent could be correct, the dust can cause respititory problems, such a resp. infection...
Take her temp first..see how that is..101.5-103.5 is normal range.
is the runny nose clear or yellow/green discharge?

if temp is good and nose discharge is clear...give Vit. B complex and benedryl daily for a week...see how she does..but if her temp is high and r snot is yellow/green antibiotcs maybe needed...Tylan 200 is a good OTC choice for URI...

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
That really says it all Karen...My number one advice to soon to be new goat owners is to know your goats...spend time with them..know their habits. I have two lamancha's that stay HUGE as if bloated...any other goat here would be treated but I dont with these girls...its just they way they are (sisters) My Nubian Jasmine is a bit nutty...does this star gazing bit with a twist of the head backwards..any other goat would be treated for listeriosis or polio lol..its just her... when you know your goats the slightest difference in their behavior will alert you to keep watch...its the best medicine to start with ;)
Reeces1234...go with your gut..if you feel more than B complex and benadryl is needed then do so...if you choose to go with antibiotics do it for 5 full days and then follow with probiotics to restore flora in her rumen...;)

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
Penicillin it needs to be done twice a day for a full five days for it to be effective. Will your neighbor be able to do this while you are away??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.