The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 month old pygmy goat doe who has been coughing for a couple months now. Everything else is normal including her temperature. I recently took her to the vet and they wormed her and had her on antibiotics for a week which did nothing. I am thinking it is probably lung worms. How do I treat these??

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
first test to see if its lung worms...

here is Goathikers method

take several goat berries and wrap in a sqare of gauze..twist tight on top..float in water over night...Lung worm or larve will float in the water if there are any...no womr floating..no lung worm : ) if you find her with lung worms..use Ivomec
1 cc per 40# sub Q or some use it orally 1 cc per 30#

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I will try that, thank you! The vet wormed her when I took her in but it was a different type. Is it ok to re worm her or can that cause more harm then good?
It's okay to re worm her, because if it is lung worms you definitely want them gone..., not all wormers cover everything. You might want to ask your vet though what they used.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Correct..Janeen128 is correct..not all wormers get every worm...and with heavy loads you may need to treat 3 times 10 days apart then once again in 30 days
Ivomec will take care of lung worms : )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct..Janeen128 is correct..not all wormers get every worm...and with heavy loads you may need to treat 3 times 10 days apart then once again in 30 days Ivomec will take care of lung worms : )
I found out that the vet gave her a injection of 1cc of ivomec exactly 10 days ago today. I gave her 1cc of ivomec this morning. Will it effect anything since the vet gave her an injection of it 10 days ago?

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
no, if she has lung worms it will take care of them...doing it 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days..
ivomec is 1 cc per 40# sub Q...so if she weighs more than 40# she will need more than 1 cc ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
I agree...1 cc is fine...:grin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.