The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat who is 8 months old, is having trouble standing. He just wants to lay down. When I touch his legs, it doesn’t seem like it hurts him, it’s just when he is standing his back legs look like they are weak or what I think it looks like is he is cramping. He stretches his legs like he is, anyways. When he was younger, he did this once and the next day was fine, but since this is the second incident I wanted to see if a goat cramping is real and if there is anything I could do for him. I’ve read similar symptoms for tetanus; he has had the CDT shot in the past 6 months and there doesn’t seem to be any injury.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meningeal worm maybe. I'd treat for it just in case. Are his legs stiff or floppy? This is the difference of Tetanus vs. M Worm.

Has he been tested for CAE?
Legs are more stiff than floppy. He can stand but doesn't move much. Hasn't been tested for CAE. He also was a bottle baby if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Is he tender along his spine?
Do you live in an area with a lot of deer?
I see you're in S. Texas are you near A&M? Their vet school would be a great place to take him. I agree he needs a vet asap....and tetanus antitoxin would not hurt and could be a life saver.
Does he have any wounds anywhere that you hadn't noticed? I'd give him a good look over even between his hooves a scabbed over area maybe...
Here's an article on tetanus
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/tetanus.html
Here's one on M.worm
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/meningealworm.html
See if either of these seem right.
What's his temp?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is he tender along his spine?
Do you live in an area with a lot of deer?
I see you're in S. Texas are you near A&M? Their vet school would be a great place to take him. I agree he needs a vet asap....and tetanus antitoxin would not hurt and could be a life saver.
Does he have any wounds anywhere that you hadn't noticed? I'd give him a good look over even between his hooves a scabbed over area maybe...
Here's an article on tetanus
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/tetanus.html
Here's one on M.worm
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/meningealworm.html
See if either of these seem right.
What's his temp?
He's not tender and doesn't have any wounds. We do have a lot of deer. I can't get a temp right now due to lack of equipment, but if things are not better tomorrow morning we will take him to the vet since it's closed now.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Do you have banamine?
A dose couldn't hurt and could help it's 1cc per 100lbs
After reading the articles...
From the way his legs are extending locked backwards I'd think it's more tetanus than M-worm and time is critical to recovery. Can you call your vet to see if you can get the antitoxin?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Do you have banamine?
A dose couldn't hurt and could help it's 1cc per 100lbs
After reading the articles...
From the way his legs are extending locked backwards I'd think it's more tetanus than M-worm and time is critical to recovery. Can you call your vet to see if you can get the antitoxin?
I agree. After I saw the photos I'm not thinking m worm at all.

The first photo makes me think Urinary Calculi, though. But that may just be me. I'd get to a vet stat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took him to the vet this morning.
He was dehydrated and his kidney levels were high, and a fever. Since he’s a wether, it is possible that he has a urinary infection. I asked the vet about M-worm but she says that it is not common in our parts, so that is good information to know (of course that doesn’t ever discount it in the future). He will be there overnight, with a catheter since he hasn’t peed yet.

Thank you all for the advice. I felt so helpless last night because I didn’t have lubricant for a thermometer or the medicine y’all were suggesting. But I’ve learned a lot now and probably need to stock my shelves with some medicines.

·
8,168 Posts
Any lubricant will work with a thermometer, baby oil, Vaseline, cooking oil, even mild hand soap (not antibacterial) will work, it just helps with insertion.
So glad you took him to the vet. Not peeing can result in a burst bladder and a terribly painful death. You did good!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts